Solving Limits - Questions on x^(sinx) & (9^x)/(8^x)

• Thread starter mad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, Limits in calculus refer to the maximum or minimum values that a function approaches or reaches as the input (or independent variable) approaches a certain value or approaches infinity. To solve limits involving trigonometric functions, you can use trigonometric identities or other techniques such as the squeeze theorem or L'Hospital's rule. The formula for solving limits of exponential functions is a^c where a is the base and c is the limit value. Limits involving fractions can be simplified by factoring and canceling common terms, or by using other techniques like multiplying by the reciprocal or applying L'Hospital's rule. There are various general approaches to solving limits, including direct substitution, factoring and canceling, and using specific rules and theorems
mad
Hello, I have two questions concerning limits

1) lim x-> 0+ x^(sinx)
2) lim x-> +inf. (9^x)/(8^x)

The first one gives me 1 (e^0 = 1) .. is that correct?
The 2nd one I don't know how to do. Can someone please explain the 2nd one for me?
Thanks a lot

Physics news on Phys.org
1) Correct

2) (9^x)/(8^x) = (9/8)^x and 9/8 > 1. How does a^x behave if a<1, a=1, a>1 ?

Gokul43201 said:
1) Correct

2) (9^x)/(8^x) = (9/8)^x and 9/8 > 1. How does a^x behave if a<1, a=1, a>1 ?

I knew it was that simple! Thanks for the help :)

1. What are limits in the context of calculus?

Limits in calculus refer to the maximum or minimum values that a function approaches or reaches as the input (or independent variable) approaches a certain value or approaches infinity. They help to understand the behavior of a function near a particular point on its graph.

2. How do I solve limits involving trigonometric functions?

To solve limits involving trigonometric functions, you can use the trigonometric identities, such as the sum and difference identities, double-angle identities, and half-angle identities. You can also use the squeeze theorem or L'Hospital's rule, depending on the complexity of the limit.

3. What is the formula for solving limits of exponential functions?

The formula for solving limits of exponential functions is:
Limit of a^x as x approaches c = a^c, where a is the base and c is the limit value.

4. Can limits involving fractions be simplified?

Yes, limits involving fractions can be simplified by factoring and canceling common terms. However, if the fraction has a variable in the denominator, you may need to use other techniques, such as multiplying by the reciprocal or applying L'Hospital's rule.

5. Is there a general approach to solving limits?

Yes, there are several general approaches to solving limits, including direct substitution, factoring and canceling, using algebraic manipulations, and applying specific rules and theorems such as the squeeze theorem, L'Hospital's rule, and the laws of limits. It is important to understand the properties and techniques of limits to determine the best approach for a specific problem.