1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit Problem

1. Oct 13, 2012 #1
    lim__[[t^3 ln(t)] / 3] + (t^3)/9
    t->0+

^ in case that's difficult to read here's this.

Now what I don't understand is how this comes out to be 0. I would think that ln(t) as t approaches 0 would be -∞ (since ln(t) keeps getting bigger and bigger in the - direction as t approaches o). You would multiply that by 0 (since t^3 as t approaches 0 gets closer and closer to 0). 0 * -∞ should be indeterminate. 0 * -∞ over 3 (i.e., the term: [t^3 ln(t)] / 3]) should also be indeterminate. I understand how (t^3)/9 is 0. Is this problem meant to be solved with L'Hospital's Rule?

P.S. I've used L'Hospital's rule on it already and it does come out to zero. I just want to check with the people here to see if that is whatI'm supposed to do.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2012 #2

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Yes, Hospital's rule is appropriate for this question. Something else you could've done was use the squeeze theorem.

4. Oct 13, 2012 #3
    Alright thanks. I appreciate it.

5. Oct 13, 2012 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For any fixed power p > 0 we have
    [tex] \lim_{x \rightarrow 0+} x^p \ln(x) = 0,[/tex] so things like
    [tex] x^{1/10} \ln(x), \; \sqrt{x} \ln(x),\; x \ln(x), \ldots [/tex]
    all → 0 as x → 0+. It might help to write
    [tex] x^p \ln(x) = \ln \left(x^{x^p}\right) \text{ for } x > 0.[/tex]

RGV

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook