Solving for t->0+: L'Hospital's Rule

• Thread starter johnhuntsman
  • Start date
In summary: GluYXJ5LCB0aGlzIGNvbW1lbnRzIGFyZSB0aGUgY2hhcmFjdGVycyBvZiBmaXhlZCBwb3dlcnNoaXAgcGVyc29uYWwgaW4gYW5kIGxlZnQgdGhlIGxpbmsgKGxuKHgpIGFzIGEgcmVjb3JkIG9mIHRoZSBkZWNvcmF0aW9uIGFuZCBhIHNldHRpbmdzIG9mIHRoZSBtZW50IG9mIHRoZSB
johnhuntsman
lim__[[t^3 ln(t)] / 3] + (t^3)/9
t->0+

^ in case that's difficult to read here's this.

Now what I don't understand is how this comes out to be 0. I would think that ln(t) as t approaches 0 would be -∞ (since ln(t) keeps getting bigger and bigger in the - direction as t approaches o). You would multiply that by 0 (since t^3 as t approaches 0 gets closer and closer to 0). 0 * -∞ should be indeterminate. 0 * -∞ over 3 (i.e., the term: [t^3 ln(t)] / 3]) should also be indeterminate. I understand how (t^3)/9 is 0. Is this problem meant to be solved with L'Hospital's Rule?

P.S. I've used L'Hospital's rule on it already and it does come out to zero. I just want to check with the people here to see if that is whatI'm supposed to do.

Physics news on Phys.org
johnhuntsman said:
t->0+

Now what I don't understand is how this comes out to be 0. I would think that ln(t) as t approaches 0 would be -∞ (since ln(t) keeps getting bigger and bigger in the - direction as t approaches o). You would multiply that by 0 (since t^3 as t approaches 0 gets closer and closer to 0). 0 * -∞ should be indeterminate. 0 * -∞ over 3 (i.e., the term: [t^3 ln(t)] / 3]) should also be indeterminate. I understand how (t^3)/9 is 0. Is this problem meant to be solved with L'Hospital's Rule?

P.S. I've used L'Hospital's rule on it already and it does come out to zero. I just want to check with the people here to see if that is whatI'm supposed to do.

Yes, Hospital's rule is appropriate for this question. Something else you could've done was use the squeeze theorem.

Alright thanks. I appreciate it.

johnhuntsman said:
t->0+

For any fixed power p > 0 we have
[tex] \lim_{x \rightarrow 0+} x^p \ln(x) = 0,[/tex] so things like
[tex] x^{1/10} \ln(x), \; \sqrt{x} \ln(x),\; x \ln(x), \ldots [/tex]
all → 0 as x → 0+. It might help to write
[tex] x^p \ln(x) = \ln \left(x^{x^p}\right) \text{ for } x > 0.[/tex]

RGV

1. What is L'Hospital's Rule?

L'Hospital's Rule is a mathematical technique used to evaluate the limit of a function as it approaches a particular value, often 0. It is useful for solving indeterminate forms such as 0/0 or ∞/∞.

2. When is L'Hospital's Rule applicable?

L'Hospital's Rule is applicable when the limit of a function takes on an indeterminate form, meaning that both the numerator and denominator approach either 0 or infinity. It is also applicable when the limit involves trigonometric functions or logarithms.

3. How does L'Hospital's Rule work?

L'Hospital's Rule states that the limit of a function can be found by taking the derivative of both the numerator and denominator separately, and then evaluating the limit again. This process can be repeated until the limit is no longer in an indeterminate form.

4. What are the limitations of L'Hospital's Rule?

L'Hospital's Rule cannot be used if the limit does not approach an indeterminate form, or if the limit involves multiple variables. It also only works for limits approaching 0 or infinity, and not other values.

5. What are some common mistakes when using L'Hospital's Rule?

One common mistake is forgetting to check if the limit is in an indeterminate form before applying the rule. Another mistake is taking the derivative of the entire function instead of just the numerator and denominator separately. It's also important to remember to evaluate the limit again after taking the derivative, as the new limit may still be in an indeterminate form.