1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit problem

1. Jan 31, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If Lim f(x) and Lim g(x) both exist and are equal
    x→a x→a then Lim[f(x)g(x)]=1
    x→a
    2. Relevant equations
    No relevant equations are required in this problem. To determine whether the statement is true or false

3. The attempt at a solution
    The statement is false but the reason behind it is quite unclear to me. Is it because when the limit approaches a from left and right the limits are -∞ and +∞?? Would be very helpful if anyone of you could explain it.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2015 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hard to read your post. Something like

If ##\displaystyle \lim_{x\rightarrow a} f(x)## and ##\displaystyle \lim_{x\rightarrow a} g(x)## both exist and are equal ##\Rightarrow \displaystyle \lim_{x\rightarrow a} f(x)g(x) = 1 ## ?

Could that be ##\displaystyle \lim_{x\rightarrow a} f(x)/g(x) = 1 ## ?

• To me ##\displaystyle \lim_{x\rightarrow a}## means "x approaching from the left to a" so I wouldn't worry about "coming from the right"
    • To me ##\displaystyle \lim_{x\rightarrow a} f(x) = \pm \infty## means the limit does not exist, so I wouldn't worry about those either
    • But the division cause a problem in a particular case, that can serve as a counter-example that makes the general statement not true,

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
  4. Jan 31, 2015 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The notation ##\lim_{x \to a} f(x)## indicates a two-sided limit in which x can approach a from either side. If the two-sided limit exists, then both one-sided limits also exist. Maybe that's what you were trying to say, but what you actually said wasn't clear.
    I agree that the first post was unclear, and that the OP meant division instead of multiplication.

5. Jan 31, 2015 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Standard usage is that ##x \to a## means a two-sided limit (##|x-a| \to 0##). Left-hand limits are typically denoted as ##x \to a\!-## or ##x \to a\!-\!0## or ##x \uparrow a##. Right-hand limits are typically denoted as ##x \to a\!+## or ##x \to a\!+\!0## or ##x \downarrow a##.

6. Jan 31, 2015 #5

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Good thing you corrected me, gentlemen. Been too long ago, but I do recognize the ##x\downarrow a## and ##x\uparrow a\;.\ ## Never had much opportunity to make good use of the distinction. Apologies to professor D.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted