1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit problem

1. Feb 17, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    For what value of the constants a and b such that the following limit exists?

lim {(ax+|x+1|)|x+b-2|}/|x+1|
    x->-1

help me ,thx

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

first, I know that I should cancel the absolute value at denominator of x+1. but i don't how to do. also x+1 if x>1. -(x+1) if x<1

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2016 #2

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hello Steven, :welcome:

You have to show an "attempt at a solution" before we are allowed to help.

To help you start: what is the first thing you try when you have to evaluate such a limit? And why doesn't it work in this case?

4. Feb 17, 2016 #3

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What value must the expression in the numerator have in x=-1 in order for the limit for x → -1 to possibly exist?

5. Feb 17, 2016 #4
    i do not understand
    have some tip?

6. Feb 17, 2016 #5

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Say you have to establish whether the following limit exists:
    ##\displaystyle \lim_{x\rightarrow -1} \frac{x+7}{|x+1|}##.
    How would you do that, and what is the answer?

Then look at the limit you have to compute:
    ##\displaystyle \lim_{x\rightarrow -1} \frac{(ax+|x+1|)|x+b-2|}{|x+1|}##
    What value must the numerator ##(ax+|x+1|)|x+b-2|## have for x=-1 in order for this limit to possibly exist?

7. Feb 17, 2016 #6

Attached Files:

8. Feb 17, 2016 #7

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't understand how you get the 2 or -2 in the denominators as ##|1+(-1)|=0##.

Just plugging in ##x=-1## in ##\frac{x+7}{|x+1|}## gives you ##\frac{6}{0}##, obviously not a very nice limit.
    See how the problem is not only that the denominator is 0 in ##x=-1##, but also that the numerator is 6. If the numerator was also 0, then maybe (just maybe), the limit could exist.

That should give you a huge clue about what should happen with the numerator ##(ax+|x+1|)|x+b-2|## at ##x=-1## for the limit to maybe (just maybe) exist.

9. Feb 17, 2016 #8
    (-a)(b-3)>0
    b-3>0 or -a>0
    b>3 0r a <0
    that right?

10. Feb 17, 2016 #9

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

(Please always explain how you get a result, else it may be difficult to help you along.)

I assume you got ##(-a)(b-3)## by setting ##x=-1## in the numerator ##(ax+|x+1|)|x+b-2|##.
    That actually gives ##-a|b-3|##. Why do you want that numerator to be larger than 0? How does >0 help you to establish that a limit may exist?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
  11. Feb 17, 2016 #10
    so, -a|b-3| if put in x=-1
    then, a is all real number, b is 3 ?

12. Feb 17, 2016 #11

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I have asked the key question a number of times: what value must the numerator have in ##x=-1## in order for the limit to possibly exist?
    You now know that the numerator is ##-a|b-3|## when ##x=-1##.
    If the numerator is, say, equal to 7, you get ##\frac{7}{0}## when ##x=-1##. Can the limit then exist?

What is the only value for the numerator ##-a|b-3|## that may makes it possible for a limit to exist for ##x\to -1##?

13. Feb 17, 2016 #12
    i need some time to think,because i learn limit on 3 days

14. Feb 17, 2016 #13

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The more theoretical point is as follows.
    Say you have two continuous functions ##f:\mathbb R \to \mathbb R## and ##g:\mathbb R \to \mathbb R##.

Does ##\displaystyle \lim_{x\rightarrow -1} \frac{f(x)}{g(x)}## exist, and if so, what is the limit?

If ##g(-1) \neq 0##, the answer is easy: ##\displaystyle \lim_{x\rightarrow -1} \frac{f(x)}{g(x)}=\frac{f(-1)}{g(-1)}##.

It get's more complicated if ##g(-1) = 0##. Then just plugging in ##x=-1## would give ##\displaystyle \lim_{x\rightarrow -1} \frac{f(x)}{g(x)}=\frac{f(-1)}{0}##.
    Now dividing a real number by 0 is not possible, so if, for example, ##f(-1)=7##, we can conclude that ##\displaystyle \lim_{x\rightarrow -1} \frac{f(x)}{g(x)}## doesn't exist (or maybe is ##\pm \infty##).
    It is only when plugging in ##x=-1## gives ##\frac{0}{0}## (that's called an indeterminate form), that a finite limit may exist. Notice the may. It's not sure the limit will exist, but it is possible. It will depend on the precise behavior of ##f## and ##g## near ##x=-1##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted