Solving a Derivative Puzzle: Find f'(1)

In summary: Therefore,##\displaystyle f'(1)=\frac{-1}{3}\ ##As a reminder to those trying to answer the question: The point is not to solve the problem, but to provide a summary of the conversation so far. Please do not provide your own solution.
terryds

Homework Statement

If ##\lim_{x\rightarrow a} \frac{f(x^3)-f(a^3)}{x-a} = -1##.
then f'(1) = ...

A. -1
B. -1/3
C. 1/3
D. 1
E. 2

Homework Equations

[/B]
##f'(x) = \lim_{h->0}\frac{f(x+h)-f(x))}{h}##

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I really have no idea about this problem.
Please help me.

Physics news on Phys.org
terryds said:

Homework Statement

If ##\lim_{x\rightarrow a} \frac{f(x^3)-f(a^3)}{x-a} = -1##.
then f'(1) = ...

A. -1
B. -1/3
C. 1/3
D. 1
E. 2

Homework Equations

[/B]
##f'(x) = \lim_{h->0}\frac{f(x+h)-f(x))}{h}##

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I really have no idea about this problem.
Please help me.

First, rewrite the definition of the derivative limit. There are always two alternative ways o wrtite a limit. And, I'm not talking about epsilon-delta.

Second, a hint: you need to learn to spot a composite function when you see one!

PeroK said:
First, rewrite the definition of the derivative limit. There are always two alternative ways o wrtite a limit. And, I'm not talking about epsilon-delta.

Second, a hint: you need to learn to spot a composite function when you see one!

Do you mean the L' Hospital rule?
By using L'Hospital rule, I get
##\lim_{x\rightarrow a} \frac{f(x^3)-f(a^3)}{x-a} = -1##
##\lim_{x->a}\frac{3x^2 f'(x^3))}{x}=-1##
##3a^2 f'(a^3) = -a##
##f'(a^3) = \frac{-a}{3a^2}##
##f'(a^3) = -\frac{1}{3a}##
##f'(1^3) = -\frac{1}{3}##

Is it correct ?

terryds said:
Do you mean the L' Hospital rule?
By using L'Hospital rule, I get
##\lim_{x\rightarrow a} \frac{f(x^3)-f(a^3)}{x-a} = -1##
##3a^2 f'(a^3) = -a##
##f'(a^3) = \frac{-a}{3a^2}##
##f'(a^3) = -\frac{1}{3a}##
##f'(1^3) = -\frac{1}{3}##

Is it correct ?

An interesting solution! That's probably valid, but it's not what I meant. Note that:

##f'(a) \equiv \lim_{x\rightarrow a} \frac{f(x)-f(a)}{x-a} \equiv \lim_{h\rightarrow 0} \frac{f(a + h)-f(a)}{h}##

Those are the two equivalent ways of writing the definition of a derivative.

And, if you let ##g(x) = f(x^3)##, then what you were given was effectively ##\forall a, \ g'(a) = -1##. The rest follows from the chain rule.

PeroK said:
An interesting solution! That's probably valid, but it's not what I meant. Note that:

##f'(a) \equiv \lim_{x\rightarrow a} \frac{f(x)-f(a)}{x-a} \equiv \lim_{h\rightarrow 0} \frac{f(a + h)-f(a)}{h}##

Those are the two equivalent ways of writing the definition of a derivative.

And, if you let ##g(x) = f(x^3)##, then what you were given was effectively ##\forall a, \ g'(a) = -1##. The rest follows from the chain rule.

g'(a) = -1
3a^2 f'(a^3) = -1
We let a = 1
f'(1)= -1/3
Thanks for your help

As the problem is solved, here is a different approach: Define ##y=x^3##, ##b=a^3##.
Then
$$-1 = \lim_{x\rightarrow a} \frac{f(x^3)-f(a^3)}{x-a} \\
= \lim_{y\rightarrow b} \frac{f(y)-f(b)}{\sqrt[3]{y}-\sqrt[3]{b}} \cdot \frac{\sqrt[3]{y}^2+\sqrt[3]{y}\sqrt[3]{b}+\sqrt[3]{b}^2}{\sqrt[3]{y}^2+\sqrt[3]{y}\sqrt[3]{b}+\sqrt[3]{b}^2} \\
= \lim_{y\rightarrow b} \frac{f(y)-f(b)}{y-b} \cdot \left(\sqrt[3]{y}^2+\sqrt[3]{y}\sqrt[3]{b}+\sqrt[3]{b}^2\right)$$
The fraction goes to f'(b), the second part converges to 3. Plug in b=1, done.

Likes terryds
Similarly:

##\displaystyle \lim_{x\rightarrow a} \frac{f(x^3)-f(a^3)}{x-a} \ ##

##\displaystyle =\lim_{x\rightarrow a} \frac{f(x^3)-f(a^3)}{x^3-a^3}\frac{x^3-a^3}{x-a} \ ##

##\displaystyle =\lim_{x\rightarrow a} \frac{f(x^3)-f(a^3)}{x^3-a^3}\cdot \lim_{x\rightarrow a}\frac{(x-a)(x^2+ax+a^2)}{x-a} \ ##

##\displaystyle =f'(a)\cdot \lim_{x\rightarrow a}(x^2+ax+a^2)\ ##​

Likes terryds

1. What is a derivative puzzle?

A derivative puzzle is a mathematical problem that involves finding the derivative of a function at a specific point. It requires the use of calculus principles, such as the limit definition of a derivative, to solve.

2. Why is finding f'(1) important?

Finding f'(1) is important because it gives us the slope of the tangent line to the function at x=1. This information is useful in understanding the behavior of the function at that point and can be used to solve other related problems.

3. What steps are involved in solving a derivative puzzle?

The steps involved in solving a derivative puzzle include identifying the function, using the limit definition of a derivative to find an expression for f'(x), plugging in x=1 to find the slope at x=1, and simplifying the resulting expression to get the final answer for f'(1).

4. What mathematical tools are needed to solve a derivative puzzle?

To solve a derivative puzzle, you will need a good understanding of calculus principles, such as the limit definition of a derivative, and the basic rules of differentiation. You may also need to use algebraic manipulation and substitution techniques to simplify the resulting expression.

5. Are there any tips or tricks for solving a derivative puzzle?

Some useful tips for solving a derivative puzzle include breaking the problem down into smaller, more manageable steps, checking your work for errors, and practicing with other similar problems to improve your understanding and problem-solving skills.