Proving Limit of [x^2 - 2x] / [x^3 - 5] as x->Infinity = 0

• Thread starter tvguide123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary: You are "allowed" to "manipulate this equation" but you are not allowed to change its value! The simplest way to find the limit is to divide all terms by the highest power of x- in this case x^3. That is, [x^2- 2x]/[x^3- 5]= [1/x- 2/x^2]/[1- 5/x^3]. As x goes to infinity, the fractions 1/x and 2/x^2 both go to 0 while 5/x^3 goes to 0. Their difference, 1- 5/x^3, goes to 1. The limit is then
tvguide123

Homework Statement

Prove that the limit as x->inifinity [x^2 - 2x] / [x^3 - 5] = 0

Homework Equations

The general procedure that we have to use to come up with this proof is:
"For all epsilon>0, there exists some N>0, such that for all x, if x>N then this implies that
| [[x^2 - 2x] / [x^3 - 5] - 0] | < epsilon".

N and epsilon are just variables.

The Attempt at a Solution

I simplified the "| [[x^2 - 2x] / [x^3 - 5] - 0] |" down to
"| [[x^2 - 2x] / [x^3 - 5] |"

I'm allowed to manipulate this equation as long as it is preserved. Also I can make helper assumptions as to the value of "N" as long as I account for them in my proof.

I've spent hours staring at this question but I can't figure out how to proceed from here
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
[x^2 - 2x] / [x^3 - 5]
divide by x^2 in the numerator and denominator:
[1 - (2/x)] / [x - (5/x^2)]
now use x tends to infinity in the above expression:
[1 - 0] / [ infinity - 0]
= 1 / infinity
= 0

First, have you thought about how you would have found limit itself- ignoring, for the moment the "first principes" stuff? Since x is going to infinity, what you have been taught to do is to divide both numerator and denominator by the highest power of x: in this case x3. That gives
[tex]\frac{\frac{1}{x}- \frac{2}{x^2}}{1- \frac{5}{x^3}}[/tex]
The point of that is that "0" is much easier to work with than "infinity"! As x goes to infinity, every fraction with x in the denominator goes to 0:(0+ 0)/(1- 0)= 0.

Now, that is basically what you want to do in the proof itself. As long as x is not 0 (and "going to infinity" it won't be) you have
[tex]|\frac{x^2- 2x}{x^3- 5}|=| \frac{\frac{1}{x}- \frac{2}{x^2}}{1- \frac{5}{x^3}}|= |\frac{1}{x}\frac{1- \frac{2}{x}}{1- \frac{5}{x^3}}|[/tex]

That first 1/x is what is crucial. As x goes to infinity, it will go to 0. As long as the remaining fraction is bounded making that less than [itex]\epsilon[/itex] will depend entirely on 1/x.

Choose a convenient value to make that fraction- say "1". How large must x be in order that
[tex]|\frac{1- \frac{2}{x}}{1- \frac{5}{x^3}}< 1|[/tex]?
Once you have determined that, take x> N1> "that number" and you have reduced the problem to
[tex]|\frac{x^2- 2x}{x^3- 5}|\le \frac{1}{x}< \epsilon[/tex]
and you can easily find an N2 that will make that true. Take N to be the larger of N1 and N2 so that they are both true.

Such a complex explanation for something so simple? :D
just remember that any number with denominator tending to infinity tends to 0.

spideyunlimit said:

Do you know what epsilon-delta proofs are? When something asks to prove a limit, it means using an epsilon-delta proof. If it asks to show that a limit tends to some value, then you may do it as you did.

spideyunlimit said:

That was what I said wasn't it? Except that the OP asked for a PROOF so I based a proof on that idea.

Sorry spidey we had to be more rigorous in our proof.

Thanks a bunch HallsofIvy that got me thinking on the right track although it wasnt exactly in the correct method that we have to do it in.

Yes gibz we had to structure it as an epsilon-delta proof but i was able to use hallsofivys solution to create my own

Thanks guys Problem Solved :)

Spidey you are wrong. e[x][/SUP]/x goes to infinity. The denominator goes to infinity also but the limit is not 0!

1. What does it mean to prove the limit of a function?

Proving the limit of a function means to show that as the input of the function approaches a certain value (in this case, infinity), the output of the function also approaches a certain value.

2. Why is the limit of [x^2 - 2x] / [x^3 - 5] as x->Infinity = 0 important?

The limit of a function at a particular point or as it approaches a certain value can provide valuable information about the behavior of the function and its graph. In this case, it can help us determine the end behavior of the function as x gets larger and larger.

3. How do you prove the limit of [x^2 - 2x] / [x^3 - 5] as x->Infinity = 0?

To prove this limit, we can use the definition of a limit: for any small positive number ε, there exists a corresponding value of x (let's call it x0) such that for all x > x0, the absolute value of the difference between the function and the limit (in this case, 0) is less than ε.

4. Can you explain the steps of proving the limit of [x^2 - 2x] / [x^3 - 5] as x->Infinity = 0?

First, we can factor out an x^2 from the numerator and x^3 from the denominator to get [x^2 * (1 - 2/x)] / [x^3 * (1 - 5/x^3)]. Then, we can simplify the fraction to get (1 - 2/x) / (1 - 5/x^3). As x approaches infinity, both terms in the numerator and denominator approach 1, so the limit becomes 1/1 = 1. Therefore, the limit of [x^2 - 2x] / [x^3 - 5] as x->Infinity = 0 is 1.

5. What is the significance of the fact that the limit of [x^2 - 2x] / [x^3 - 5] as x->Infinity = 0 equals 0?

This means that as x gets larger and larger, the function approaches 0. This can be interpreted as the function getting closer and closer to the x-axis as x increases, indicating that the function has a horizontal asymptote at y=0. It also means that the function does not have any vertical asymptotes or holes at infinity.