Proving lim(x->a) e^f(x) = e^lim(x->a)f(x): Struggling With Epsilon-Delta!

• Thread starter forty
  • Start date
In summary, the author is trying to prove that if lim(x->a)f(x) exists then e^lim(x->a)f(x) - e^f(x) = e^lim(x->a)f(x). However, the author is having difficulty and is seeking help. The author knows that f(x) converges to F, and can find delta<1 such that |f(x)-F| < \epsilon / e^F e^1 for all |x - a| < \delta. If this is the case, then using the property that |e^{f(x)} - e^F| < \epsilon
forty
I'm trying to prove that:

lim(x->a) e^f(x) = e^lim(x->a)f(x) (Assume lim(x->a)f(x) exists)

However I am having great difficulty! My only real approach I have taken is epsilon-delta proof.

if [tex]\epsilon[/tex] > 0 then there exists [tex]\delta[/tex] > 0 such that if |x - a| < [tex]\delta[/tex] then | e^f(x) - e^lim(x->a)f(x)| < [tex]\epsilon[/tex].

Assume [tex]\epsilon[/tex] > 0
Assume |x - a| < [tex]\delta[/tex]

then to show that | e^f(x) - e^lim(x->a)f(x)| < [tex]\epsilon[/tex]

Here I really have no idea...

As the limit of f(x) exits and that |x - a| < [tex]\delta[/tex] then by definition lim(x->a)f(x) = L (some number)

which gives

| e^f(x) - e^L| < [tex]\epsilon[/tex]

Here I have no idea.. Do I use logs? Taylor series?

This has started to give me quite a headache! I've done proofs like this before but with concrete numbers not functions.

Any help on this as always would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have to do this as an epsilon-delta proof? Do you have any theorems about, say, limits of continuous functions?

It should be helpful to know that, if [tex]|f(x) - F| < \delta, |e^{f(x)} - e^F| <= |f(x)-F| e^F e^{\delta}[/tex].

Mark44
I had a look at the properties and found nothing really useful. And I do think that I had to use an epsilon-delta proof >.< (they get very cumbersome very fast!)

hamster143
I don't know where that property comes from and I don't really have any idea how to apply it to the proof.

I should stick to physics.

Why do you think you have to do an epsilon-delta proof? If the problem doesn't say that you have to prove it using delta and epsilon, then why assume that it does? What properties (actually theorems) do you have available? For instance, is there a theorem about the limit of a sum of functions? Product of functions? You said you found nothing useful, but maybe there was something there that could be used and you didn't recognize it.

forty said:
hamster143
I don't know where that property comes from and I don't really have any idea how to apply it to the proof.

I should stick to physics.

You're trying to do this as epsilon-delta proof. To do that, for any epsilon you need to find delta such that [tex]| e^{f(x)} - e^F | < \epsilon[/tex] for all |x - a| < [tex]\delta[/tex].

You know that f(x) converges to F, therefore you can find delta<1 such that |f(x)-F| < [tex]\epsilon / e^F e^1[/tex] for all |x - a| < [tex]\delta[/tex].

But if it is the case, using the property I showed, [tex]|e^{f(x)} - e^F| < \epsilon[/tex].

Thanks for the help. Finally got to the bottom of it with help from a mate.

Mark44 you where right I didn't need to do an epsilon-delta proof, simple a LHS = RHS using limit properties and you hinted at! Just so use to seeing epsilon-delta proofs everywhere in real analysis.

But in short took the taylor series of one side and then used limit properties until it matches the other!

Thanks again!

"If the only tool you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail."

Question 1: What is the definition of a limit?

A limit is the value that a function approaches as the independent variable (usually denoted as x) gets closer and closer to a specific value (usually denoted as a).

Question 2: What is the Epsilon-Delta definition of a limit?

The Epsilon-Delta definition of a limit is a mathematical way to formally define the concept of a limit. It states that for every positive number epsilon, there exists a corresponding positive number delta such that if the distance between the input and the limit is less than delta, the distance between the output and the limit is less than epsilon.

Question 3: How do you prove lim(x->a) e^f(x) = e^lim(x->a)f(x)?

To prove this limit, we start by considering the definition of a limit. We need to show that for every epsilon, there exists a corresponding delta such that if the distance between x and a is less than delta, the distance between e^f(x) and e^lim(x->a)f(x) is less than epsilon. We can use algebraic manipulations and the properties of limits to show that this is true, and therefore prove the limit statement.

Question 4: What is the significance of proving this limit?

Proving this limit is important because it shows that the function e^x is continuous. This means that small changes in x result in small changes in e^x, which is a fundamental property of many mathematical models and real-world applications. Additionally, this limit is a crucial step in proving more complex limits and theorems involving exponential functions.

Question 5: What are some tips for struggling with Epsilon-Delta proofs?

1. Start by reviewing the definition of a limit and understanding the concept.2. Try different algebraic manipulations and properties of limits to see if they can help prove the statement.3. Use visual aids, such as graphs or diagrams, to better understand the problem.4. Practice, practice, practice! The more you work on Epsilon-Delta proofs, the more familiar you will become with the techniques and strategies needed to solve them.