Proving \lim_{x \to a} f(x) = \lim_{h \to 0} f(a+h): Analysis & Feedback

In summary, the conversation discusses a proof for the equality of limits and considers different approaches to prove it. The first approach involves using the definition of limit and the second approach uses some manipulations. Both approaches seem to work, but the second approach may be more direct.
jgens
Gold Member
So, I'm trying to prove that [itex]\lim_{x \to a} f(x) = \lim_{h \to 0} f(a+h)[/itex] and I'm wondering if this "proof" is correct:

Suppose that [itex]\lim_{x \to a} f(x) = l[/itex] and [itex]\lim_{h \to 0} f(a+h) = m[/itex] with [itex]l \neq m[/itex]. Then, for any [itex]\varepsilon > 0[/itex] there must be some [itex]\delta > 0[/itex] such that [itex]0 < |x-a| < \delta[/itex] implies that [itex]|f(x) - l| < \varepsilon[/itex] and [itex]0< |h| < \delta[/itex] that [itex]|f(a+h) - m| < \varepsilon[/itex].

Clearly [itex]a - \delta < x < a + \delta[/itex] and [itex]a - \delta < a + h < a + \delta[/itex], so there is a number [itex]x_1[/itex] such that [itex]|f(x_1) - l| < \varepsilon[/itex] and [itex]|f(x_1) - m| < \varepsilon[/itex].

Choosing [itex]\varepsilon = |l-m|/2[/itex], it follows that [itex]|l-m| = |l - f(x_1) + f(x_1) -m| \leq |f(x_1) - l| + |f(x_1) - m| < |l-m|/2 + |l-m|/2 < |l-m|[/itex], which is a contradiction. Therefore, [itex]l=m[/itex].

Does this work alright? Or is there another way that I should approach this problem? I appreciate any feedback! Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your approach seems to work, but I think it would have been much easier to write out what one of the limits means and then later set x = a + h. This approach also supports the intuitive idea behind this equality. There is also a way to prove this without resorting to the definition of the limit via some manipulations.

Looks ok. It is possible to do it more directly. Suppose [tex]\lim_{x\to a}f(x)=L[/tex]. Fix [tex]\epsilon > 0[/tex]. For some [tex]\delta[/tex]-neighbourhood of [tex]a[/tex], [tex]|f(x)-L|<\epsilon[/tex]. Hence, if [tex]|h|<\delta[/tex], [tex]|f(a+h)-L|<\epsilon[/tex] holds, and therefore [tex]\lim_{h\to 0}f(a+h)=L[/tex]. It's essentially the same, though.

Edit: I'm too slow
Edit2: Wow, 3 minutes...way too slow

1. What does the statement "Proving limx -> a f(x) = limh -> 0 f(a+h)" mean?

The statement is an expression of the equality between the limit of a function as the independent variable approaches a specific value (x->a), and the limit of the same function as the independent variable approaches that value plus a small increment (h->0). This is known as the epsilon-delta definition of a limit.

2. Why is it important to prove this equality?

Proving this equality is important because it is a fundamental concept in calculus and real analysis. It allows us to formally define the limit of a function and use it to solve problems in various fields of science and mathematics.

3. What is the process for proving this equality?

The process for proving this equality involves using the definition of a limit to show that for any given epsilon (ε), there exists a delta (δ) such that the distance between f(x) and f(a+h) is less than ε whenever the distance between x and a is less than δ. This is done by manipulating the expression and setting up inequalities to show that it holds true for any ε and δ.

4. Can you provide an example of using this equality in a real-world scenario?

Yes, one example is in physics, where the velocity of an object at a specific point (limt -> a v(t)) can be calculated by taking the limit of the average velocity over a small interval (limh -> 0 v(a+h)). This allows for precise measurements and predictions in various scenarios, such as calculating the velocity of a falling object at a specific time.

5. Are there any limitations to this equality?

Yes, one limitation is that it only applies to functions that are continuous at the given point a. If a function is not continuous, then this equality may not hold true. Additionally, it may not hold true for functions with certain types of discontinuities, such as jump discontinuities or infinite discontinuities.