Proving Lim_{x->4}: $\frac{x-4}{\sqrt{x}-2}=4$

• Thread starter ciubba
  • Start date
In summary, the student attempted to solve the homework equation by first evaluating at 4 and simplifying to \sqrt{x}+2 when x is not equal to 4, but found that the equation becomes indeterminate when x equals 4. Epsilon\delta definition was used to find that delta equals min\{\sqrt{-\delta+4}-2,4,\sqrt{\delta+4}-2\} when \epsilon is greater than 0.
ciubba

Homework Statement

Prove [tex]lim_{x->4}\frac{x-4}{\sqrt{x}-2}=4[/tex]

Homework Equations

Epsilon\delta definition

The Attempt at a Solution

I can see that a direct evaluation at 4 leads to an indeterminate form, so:

[tex]\frac{x-4}{\sqrt{x}-2}*\frac{\sqrt{x}+2}{\sqrt{x}+2} \; \mbox{simplifies to} \; \sqrt{x}+2 \; \mbox{when} \; x \ne 4[/tex]

Via epsilon\delta definition,
[tex]|\sqrt{x}+2-4|<\epsilon \; \mbox{whenever} \; |x-4|<\delta[/tex]

Expanding the right side,

[tex]-\delta<x-4<\delta[/tex]
[tex]-\delta+4<x<\delta+4[/tex]
[tex]\sqrt{-\delta+4}<\sqrt{x}<\sqrt{\delta+4} \; \mbox{when} \; \delta \leq 4[/tex]
[tex]\sqrt{-\delta+4}-2<\sqrt{x}-2<\sqrt{\delta+4}-2[/tex]

Thus, [tex]\delta=min\{\sqrt{-\delta+4}-2,4,\sqrt{\delta+4}-2\}[/tex]

Given this definition of delta, it is elementary to work backwards towards [tex]|\sqrt{x}+2|<\delta[/tex]

Have I made any errors in my proof?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey cuibba. I can't comment on your technique, but you could have used L'hopital's rule. That way I think is easier.

ciubba said:

Homework Statement

Prove [tex]lim_{x->4}\frac{x-4}{\sqrt{x}-2}=4[/tex]

Homework Equations

Epsilon\delta definition

The Attempt at a Solution

I can see that a direct evaluation at 4 leads to an indeterminate form, so:

[tex]\frac{x-4}{\sqrt{x}-2}*\frac{\sqrt{x}+2}{\sqrt{x}+2} \; \mbox{simplifies to} \; \sqrt{x}+2 \; \mbox{when} \; x \ne 4[/tex]

Via epsilon\delta definition,
[tex]|\sqrt{x}+2-4|<\epsilon \; \mbox{whenever} \; |x-4|<\delta[/tex]Expanding the right side,

[tex]-\delta<x-4<\delta[/tex]
[tex]-\delta+4<x<\delta+4[/tex]
[tex]\sqrt{-\delta+4}<\sqrt{x}<\sqrt{\delta+4} \; \mbox{when} \; \delta \leq 4[/tex]
[tex]\sqrt{-\delta+4}-2<\sqrt{x}-2<\sqrt{\delta+4}-2[/tex]
Thus, [tex]\delta=min\{\sqrt{-\delta+4}-2,4,\sqrt{\delta+4}-2\}[/tex]

Given this definition of delta, it is elementary to work backwards towards [tex]|\sqrt{x}+2|<\delta[/tex]

Have I made any errors in my proof?

What is [itex]\delta[/itex] when [itex]\epsilon = 10[/itex]? What about when [itex]\epsilon = 10^{-5}[/itex]?

Your task is to prove:

For every [itex]\epsilon > 0[/itex] there exists a [itex]\delta > 0[/itex] such that if [itex]0 < |x - 4| < \delta[/itex] then [itex]|\frac{x - 4}{\sqrt{x} - 2} - 4| < \epsilon[/itex].

You need to relate your [itex]\delta[/itex] to the [itex]\epsilon[/itex].

perplexabot said:
Hey cuibba. I can't comment on your technique, but you could have used L'hopital's rule. That way I think is easier.

He could have used l'Hospital's rule (yes, it really is spelled Hospital) but his way is easier. Alternatively, he could have set ##\sqrt{x} = y## and then evaluated
[tex] \lim_{y \to 2} \frac{y^2 - 4}{y-2},[/tex]
because in this form l'Hospital's rule is much nicer to use.

perplexabot said:
Ah, I wish I was allowed to use that technique, but our prof. is adamant on teaching delta ep. definitions first.

pasmith said:
What is [itex]\delta[/itex] when [itex]\epsilon = 10[/itex]? What about when [itex]\epsilon = 10^{-5}[/itex]?

Your task is to prove:

For every [itex]\epsilon > 0[/itex] there exists a [itex]\delta > 0[/itex] such that if [itex]0 < |x - 4| < \delta[/itex] then [itex]|\frac{x - 4}{\sqrt{x} - 2} - 4| < \epsilon[/itex].

You need to relate your [itex]\delta[/itex] to the [itex]\epsilon[/itex].

Oops, I mistyped. I meant to say "Given this definition of delta, it is elementary to work backwards towards [tex]
|\sqrt{x}+2\mathbf{-4}|<\boldsymbol{\epsilon}
[/tex] My main question is whether or not it is correct to say that, for any epsilon, delta is [tex]
min\{\sqrt{-\delta+4}-2,4,\sqrt{\delta+4}-2\}[/tex]
Ray Vickson said:
He could have used l'Hospital's rule (yes, it really is spelled Hospital) but his way is easier. Alternatively, he could have set ##\sqrt{x} = y## and then evaluated
[tex] \lim_{y \to 2} \frac{y^2 - 4}{y-2},[/tex]
because in this form l'Hospital's rule is much nicer to use.

Ah, I didn't think to do a u-sub. I'll definitely try that next time!

1. What does it mean to prove a limit?

Proving a limit means showing that the value of a function approaches a certain number as the input approaches a specific value. In this case, we are trying to show that as x approaches 4, the value of the function (x-4)/(sqrt(x)-2) approaches 4.

2. How do you solve for a limit algebraically?

To solve for a limit algebraically, we use properties of limits and basic algebraic manipulations. In this case, we can use the limit properties of sums and quotients, along with the fact that the limit of a constant is equal to the constant itself.

3. Can we use a graph to prove this limit?

Yes, we can use a graph to visually show that the function approaches a specific value as x approaches 4. However, a graph alone is not enough to prove a limit, as it only provides evidence and not a definitive proof.

4. What is the purpose of proving a limit?

Proving a limit is important as it helps us understand the behavior of a function near a specific value. It also allows us to make predictions and draw conclusions about the function's behavior without having to evaluate it at every single point.

5. What are common techniques for proving limits?

Common techniques for proving limits include using the squeeze theorem, the definition of a limit, and algebraic manipulations. Other techniques such as L'Hopital's rule and Taylor series can also be used for more complex functions.