1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit property

1. Jul 18, 2011 #1
    The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    if lim f(n) = s , prove that lim (f(n))^{1/3} = s^{1/3}. How do you know that as n approaches infinity, f(n) and s have the same sign. n is just an index in this case and f is not a function but a sequence.

The attempt at a solution
    so we know that |f(n) - s| < epsilon, using a^3 - b^3 I can factor:
    |f(n)^{1/3} - s^{1/3}|*|f(n)^{2/3} + (f(n)*s)^{1/3} + s^{1/3}| < epsilon. Divide both sides and we get |f(n)^{1/3} - s^{1/3}| < epsilon/(|f(n)^{2/3} + (f(n)*s)^{1/3} + s^{1/3}|) which proves the first part. I don't know how to argue that as n approaches infinity, f(n) and s have the same sign.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2011 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You still have work to do to finish the proof of the first part.

You should have no problems showing f(n) and s have the same sign if you understand the definition of the limit. Suppose s>0. You can find an interval around s that only contains positive numbers, right? So...

4. Jul 18, 2011 #3
    what am i missing from the first part of the proof?

5. Jul 18, 2011 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

To prove a limit using the definition, you assume ε>0, and then show that for the appropriate choice of N, n>N implies that |f(n)-L|<ε. So first, you need to find N.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook