1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit prove simple

1. Nov 20, 2009 #1
    how to prove
    lim(x->a)[tex]\frac{f(x)-f(a)}{x-a}[/tex]=lim(h->0)[tex]\frac{f(a+h)-f(a)}{h}[/tex]

it seems to be obvious, but i dunno how to prove```

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2009 #2

statdad

Homework Helper

What is the relationship between the denominator [tex] x - a [/tex] and the denominator [tex] h [/tex]?

4. Nov 20, 2009 #3
    Sorry,I have not express clearly.
    what i want to prove is just:
    lim(x->a)[tex](\frac{f(x)-f(a)}{x-a})[/tex]=lim(h->0)[tex](\frac{f(a+h)-f(a)}{h})[/tex]

5. Nov 20, 2009 #4
    Listen to what statdad is saying. What is the relationship by h and x - a? The answer to this question will essentially answer your question.

6. Nov 20, 2009 #5
    use a delta-epsilon argument, the standard delta epsilon definition:

as x approaches a, we have:

given [tex]\epsilon[/tex] > 0, there exists a [tex]\delta[/tex] >0 such that for all x with the property 0 < | x - a | < [tex]\delta[/tex], then |f(x) - L | < [tex]\epsilon[/tex].

In this argument, we have the distance between a point x and a fixed point a bounded between 0 and some fixed [tex]\delta[/tex]. Can you provide a similar argument as h approaches ____ ?

7. Nov 20, 2009 #6
    Why not let h = x - a and rewrite the limit after the substitutions?

8. Nov 21, 2009 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That is exactly what statdad was suggesting!

9. Nov 21, 2009 #8
    I wasn't sure that that was what statdad was getting at, which is why I posted the equation. Some things are just too subtle, at least for me. :blushing:

10. Nov 22, 2009 #9

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You still don't get it? In the first limit,
    [tex]\lim_{x\to a}\frac{f(x)- f(a)}{x-a}[/tex]

let h= x- a. Then x= ??

11. Nov 22, 2009 #10

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I'm pretty sure none of this is applicable to the problem in this thread.

12. Nov 22, 2009 #11
    No, I understand perfectly how to use h = x - a to transform the first to the second; I just didn't see that statdad was hinting at doing it that way.

13. Nov 22, 2009 #12

statdad

Homework Helper

Sorry for any confusion I caused. I've always believed the best horror movies ( and books) are the ones that hint at the source of the horror, and that the best hints are ones that make you puzzle out their meaning. This time, apparently, I was a little too vague.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook