Calculating the Limit of [e^n-(1+1/n)^n^2]

• Thread starter azatkgz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the conversation is about finding the limit of lim(n to inf)[e^n-(1+1/n)^n^2] and the various methods and results used to solve it. The final conclusion is that the limit is infinity, but the method used to reach this conclusion is not obvious and requires careful consideration of infinite series.
azatkgz
lim(n to inf)[e^n-(1+1/n)^n^2]
after some calculations [e^n-e^(n-1/2+1/(3n)+o(1/n))] *
then i took e^n out,so e^n(1-e^(-1/2+1/(3n)+o(1/n))) and i expanded second term
e^n(1-1+1/2-1/(3n)+o(1/n)),so the limit is inf.But my teacher said that my calculations up to * is true then all calculations are wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
That's hard to read. Why don't you try typing it out in LaTeX?

looks like you are trying to find
[tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow\infty} [e^n-(1+\frac{1}{n})^{n^2}}][/tex]
If so have you tried using the fact that [tex]n^2=n*n[/tex]
and looking at what happens to
[tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow\infty} (1+\frac{1}{n})^{n}[/tex]

than actually answer is 0.Yes?

[tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow\infty}[(1+\frac{1}{n})^n}]=e^n[/tex]
than
[tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow\infty} [e^n-(1+\frac{1}{n})^{n^2}}]=e^n-e^n=0[/tex]

Is it true?

but my teacher said that my solutions up to
[tex]e^n-e^{n-\frac{1}{2}+\frac{1}{3n}+o(\frac{1}{n})}[/tex]
Here first part is tends to infinity faster.Then is it infinity?

I couldn't see how yo got that expansion but even a direct expansion of the bracketed term still gives you just exp(n) so I think the answer is just zero.

azatkgz said:
but my teacher said that my solutions up to
Here first part is tends to infinity faster.Then is it infinity?

Today my prof.said that the answer is really infinity.

I would like to see that proof.

[tex]e^n-e^{n^2ln(1+\frac{1}{n})}[/tex]

[tex]e^n-e^{n^2(\frac{1}{n}-\frac{1}{2n^2}+\frac{1}{3n^3}+o(\frac{1}{n^3})}[/tex]

this one tends to
[tex]e^n(1-\frac{1}{\sqrt{e}})[/tex]

Last edited:
Thank you. Very interesting result and still not obvious to me.

Quite a clever method.

SanjeevGupta- What he did was simply note that since the exponential and logarithm are inverse functions, [tex]x = e^{\ln x}[/tex]. Then he also used the result [tex]\log (k^n) = n \log k[/tex], and then expanded the log with its taylor series.

Thanks Gib Z. I now realize that since [tex]e^n[/tex] is an infinitely long series to start with and whatever n we chose [tex](1+\frac{1}{n})^{n^2}[/tex] has a finite number of terms so there's always going to be an infinitely long string of terms left after the subtraction starting with the [tex]n^2+2[/tex] term of [tex]e^n[/tex].
So this reminds me to be very careful when looking at limits of expressions that involve infinite series.

1. What is the purpose of calculating the limit of [e^n-(1+1/n)^n^2]?

The limit of a function represents the value that the function approaches as the independent variable approaches a certain value. In this case, we are interested in finding the limit of the function [e^n-(1+1/n)^n^2] as n approaches infinity. This will help us understand the behavior of the function and make predictions about its values at large values of n.

2. How do you calculate the limit of [e^n-(1+1/n)^n^2]?

To calculate the limit of [e^n-(1+1/n)^n^2], we can use the rules of limits. First, we can rewrite the expression as [e^n-(1+1/n)^n^2] = [e^n-(1+1/n)^n] * [e^n-(1+1/n)^n]. Then, we can use the limit rule for products, which states that the limit of a product is equal to the product of the limits. Finally, we can use the limit rule for exponential functions, which states that the limit of e^x as x approaches infinity is equal to infinity. By applying these rules, we can find that the limit of [e^n-(1+1/n)^n^2] is equal to infinity.

3. What does the limit of [e^n-(1+1/n)^n^2] tell us about the behavior of the function?

The fact that the limit of [e^n-(1+1/n)^n^2] is equal to infinity tells us that the function grows without bound as n approaches infinity. In other words, as n gets larger and larger, the value of the function also gets larger and larger. This information can be useful in understanding the behavior and making predictions about the function at large values of n.

4. Are there any restrictions on the values of n when calculating the limit of [e^n-(1+1/n)^n^2]?

No, there are no restrictions on the values of n when calculating the limit of [e^n-(1+1/n)^n^2]. The limit can be calculated for any value of n, including positive, negative, and non-integer values.

5. Can the limit of [e^n-(1+1/n)^n^2] be approximated using a graph?

Yes, the limit of [e^n-(1+1/n)^n^2] can be approximated using a graph. By plotting the function for different values of n, we can see that the function approaches infinity as n approaches infinity. We can also use a graphing calculator or software to find the limit numerically by plugging in larger and larger values for n and observing the corresponding values of the function. However, for more precise and accurate results, it is recommended to use the limit rules and algebraic methods to calculate the limit.