Limits of 0<x<1: Exploring Confusing nx Term

In summary, the conversation is discussing a limit expression involving x and n, and how to manipulate it to use L'Hopital's Rule. The final solution involves factoring and rewriting the expression to fit the criteria for L'Hopital's Rule.
letmeknow

Homework Statement

This should be easy but I can't find why.

Why is the following true for 0<x<1,

[tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}nx(1-x^2)^n = 0 [/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand why (1-x^2)^n goes to zero, but the nx part is not bounded and seems to be going to infinity?

Physics news on Phys.org
can you use L'hopitals rule here?

I am not sure. I don't have much experience with L'Hospital's Rule so I will look it up.

lanedance said:
can you use L'hopitals rule here?
Not as the limit currently is written. L'Hopital's rule applies to quotients only, where both the numerator and denominator are approaching zero, or where both are approaching +/- infinity. To get this expression into a suitable form, instead of multiplying by n, you can divide by 1/n.

another possibility for these types of limits is to write:

[tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} nx(1-x^2)^n = \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} e^{\ln{nx(1-x^2)^n}} [/tex]
and use the log laws to manipulate the expression, will have a go & see how I go

Last edited:
hmm... the only way I manged this limit was to factor

[tex]
\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} nx(1-x^2)^n = \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} (nx(1+x)^n)((1-x)^n)
[/tex]

then manipulating to make use of L'hopitals rule (for 0<x<1)
[tex]
= \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{(1-x)^n}{\frac{1}{nx(1+x)^n}} \rightarrow \frac{0}{0}
[/tex]

and differentiating numerator & denominator w.r.t. n gives the required limit, seems a little tricky though, not sure if I'm missing something...

I don't think factoring the 1 - x^2 part makes life simpler. I would rewrite the original limit expression as [tex]x \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{(1 - x^2)^n}{1/n}[/tex], and use L'Hopital's Rule on that. Both the numerator and denominator are approaching 0, so L'Hopital's Rule applies.

1. What does the term "limits" refer to in this context?

The term "limits" refers to the mathematical concept of approaching a specific value as a variable gets closer and closer to a certain point or value.

2. How does the range of 0

The range of 0

3. What is the significance of the "n" in the term "nx"?

The "n" in "nx" represents a variable that can take on any value. It is commonly used in mathematical expressions to indicate the number of times a function or term is repeated.

4. Can you give an example of a confusing "nx" term within the limits of 0

An example of a confusing "nx" term within this limit could be (1-x)^n. This expression involves a variable, "x", raised to a power that is represented by "n". As the value of "x" approaches 1, the behavior of the expression will depend on the value of "n".

5. How can exploring the limits of 0

Exploring the limits of 0