1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit question

1. Mar 10, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This should be easy but I can't find why.

Why is the following true for 0<x<1,

[tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}nx(1-x^2)^n = 0 [/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I understand why (1-x^2)^n goes to zero, but the nx part is not bounded and seems to be going to infinity?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2009 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

can you use L'hopitals rule here?

4. Mar 10, 2009 #3
    I am not sure. I don't have much experience with L'Hospital's Rule so I will look it up.

5. Mar 10, 2009 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Not as the limit currently is written. L'Hopital's rule applies to quotients only, where both the numerator and denominator are approaching zero, or where both are approaching +/- infinity. To get this expression into a suitable form, instead of multiplying by n, you can divide by 1/n.

6. Mar 10, 2009 #5

lanedance

Homework Helper

another possibility for these types of limits is to write:

[tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} nx(1-x^2)^n = \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} e^{\ln{nx(1-x^2)^n}} [/tex]
    and use the log laws to manipulate the expression, will have a go & see how I go

Last edited: Mar 10, 2009
  7. Mar 10, 2009 #6

lanedance

Homework Helper

hmm... the only way I manged this limit was to factor

[tex]
    \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} nx(1-x^2)^n = \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} (nx(1+x)^n)((1-x)^n)
    [/tex]

then manipulating to make use of L'hopitals rule (for 0<x<1)
    [tex]
    = \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{(1-x)^n}{\frac{1}{nx(1+x)^n}} \rightarrow \frac{0}{0}
    [/tex]

and differentiating numerator & denominator w.r.t. n gives the required limit, seems a little tricky though, not sure if I'm missing something...

8. Mar 11, 2009 #7

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I don't think factoring the 1 - x^2 part makes life simpler. I would rewrite the original limit expression as [tex]x \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{(1 - x^2)^n}{1/n}[/tex], and use L'Hopital's Rule on that. Both the numerator and denominator are approaching 0, so L'Hopital's Rule applies.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook