Proving Limit L for f(x) = x^4 with a = a

• Thread starter Miike012
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, to determine the limit L for a given a and prove that it is the limit for the function f(x) = x^4, the expression |x-a|x+a||x^2+a^2| < ε is used. To find a bound for the product |x+a||x^2+a^2|, it is suggested to let δ < |a|. After some manipulation, it is shown that |x3| + |ax2| + |a2x| + |a3| < 8|a3| + 4|a2|∙|a| + 2|a|∙|a2| + |a3|. It is noted that this method
Miike012
Determine the limit L for a given a, and prove that it is the limit.

f(x) = x^4,
a = a
L = a^4.

I get all the way to the following point...

|x-a|x+a||x^2+a^2| < ε,

I do not know how to find a "bound" for the product |x+a||x^2+a^2|. Can someone lead me in the right direction?

thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you were proving uniform continuity on all of ℝ you'd have a problem (it isn't), but here you're proving point-wise continuity, which means you can define your delta in terms of more than just epsilon. Think about why this is for a bit, it was a difficult concept for me to swallow at first.

Are you saying that my delta value is not going to be in terms of epsilon?

deleted comment.

Last edited:
Miike012 said:
Determine the limit L for a given a, and prove that it is the limit.

f(x) = x^4,
a = a
L = a^4.

I get all the way to the following point...

|x-a|x+a||x^2+a^2| < ε,

I do not know how to find a "bound" for the product |x+a||x^2+a^2|. Can someone lead me in the right direction?

thank you.
Notice that (x+a)(x^2+a^2) = x3 + ax2 + ax +a3 .

So, if δ < |a|, then you can find a bound on |x+a||x^2+a^2| .

Miike012 said:
Hmmm, to be honest I'm stumped, I wouldn't even know where to start with
x3 + ax2 + ax +a3 to find a bound.
I had a typo in that expression. It should have been:
x3 + ax2 + a2x +a3

I also suggested letting δ < |a| .

In that case:
If |x-a| < δ

then -|a| < -δ < x-a < δ < |a|

then (after a little work) you can show that |x|< 2|a|​

This leads to |x2|< 4|a2|

and |x3|< 8|a3| .

Therefore |x3| + |ax2| +|a2x| + |a3| <    ?   

Is the answer:
...< 8|a3| + 4|a3| + 2|a3| -|a3| or

|x3| + |ax2| +|a2x| + |a3| - |a3| < 13|a3|...

is this correct? If not am I close?

Miike012 said:
Is the answer:
...< 8|a3| + 4|a3| + 2|a3| -|a3| or

|x3| + |ax2| +|a2x| + |a3| - |a3| < 13|a3|...

is this correct? If not am I close?
(Use the X2 button on the "Go Advanced" message box to display exponents. Otherwise use LaTeX.)

13|a3| is not right.

How did you get that?

SammyS said:
(Use the X2 button on the "Go Advanced" message box to display exponents. Otherwise use LaTeX.)

13|a3| is not right.

How did you get that?

you gave me

|x| < 2|a|
|x2| < 4|a2| ,
|x3| < 8|a3|, and
|x3| + |ax2| + |a2x| + |a3| < .

so
|x3| < 8|a3|,
|ax2| < 4|a*a2| ,
|a2*x| < 2|a2*a|

|a3| < ( don't know how to relate this inequality...)

Then I added the above 4 lines together and got,

|x3| + |ax2| +|a2*x| + |a3| < 8|a3| + 4|a*a2| + 2|a2*a| + ( don't know how to relate this inequality...)

The right side is eqaul to 14|a3| + ( don't know how to relate this inequality...)

Miike012 said:
you gave me

|x| < 2|a|
|x2| < 4|a2| ,
|x3| < 8|a3|, and

|a3| < ( don't know how to relate this inequality...)

The right side is equal to 14|a3| + ( don't know how to relate this inequality...)
The way to deal with |a3| is simply that |a3| = |a3|

So if
|x| < 2|a|,
|x2| < 4|a2| ,
|x3| < 8|a3|,
and
|a3| is what it is:​
then
|x3| + |ax2| + |a2x| + |a3| < 8|a3| + 4|a2|∙|a| + 2|a|∙|a2| + |a3|​

This will work fine as long as a ≠ 0.

The case in which a = 0 can be handled pretty easily, after you have conquered the more general case. (It is also true that you can work out a method that handles all values of a, but the algebra will be tougher than that above and that looks as if it has given you enough of a problem.)

Yeah to be honest when I am working with inequalities I am totally lost... Is there any place I can read up on inequalities so maybe I can understand them better and learn how to manipulate them better?

and what is the more "general" way to do it?

1. What is the definition of a limit for a function?

A limit for a function is the value that a function approaches as the input approaches a specific value, called the limit point. It represents the behavior of the function at that point and is denoted as L.

2. How do you prove a limit for a function?

To prove a limit for a function, you must show that the function approaches the same value, L, from both the left and right sides of the limit point. This can be done through various methods such as algebraic manipulation, using the squeeze theorem, or by using the definition of a limit.

3. What is the limit notation commonly used when proving a limit for a function?

The most commonly used limit notation when proving a limit for a function is the epsilon-delta notation, which is written as: limx→a f(x) = L. This notation represents the limit of the function f(x) as x approaches the value a and equals L.

4. How do you prove a limit for a power function, such as f(x) = x4?

To prove a limit for a power function, such as f(x) = x4, with a limit point of a, you can start by rewriting the function as f(x) = (x-a)4 + 4a(x-a)3 + 6a2(x-a)2 + 4a3(x-a) + a4. Then, using the definition of a limit, you can manipulate the expression to show that it approaches the value L.

5. Are there any specific tips or tricks to use when proving a limit for a function?

When proving a limit for a function, it is important to carefully manipulate the expression and use algebraic properties to simplify it. It can also be helpful to graph the function or use a table of values to visually see how the function behaves near the limit point. Additionally, it is important to always check that the limit from the left and right sides are equal, as this is a crucial part of proving a limit.