1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit questions

1. Oct 2, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the limit as x approaches x-(x from the left) if f(x) = cscx

2. Relevant equations

none

3. The attempt at a solution

The only way I can think of solving this is to convert it to 1/sinx which would have a limit of 0. I'm not sure if that even makes any sense though. Any help appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

x approaches what? No matter what it is, the answer isn't zero.

4. Oct 2, 2007 #3
    Sorry the ink was smudged what looked like an x- was actually pi -(pi approaching from the left).

5. Oct 2, 2007 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

csc(x)=1/sin(x). If x is approaching pi the denominator is going to zero. The 'limit', such as it is, must be some kind of infinity. Which kind?

6. Oct 2, 2007 #5
    Since it's approaching from the left I would guess negative infinity, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

7. Oct 2, 2007 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hmm. My guess would be different. But then maybe my left is different from your left.

8. Oct 2, 2007 #7
    I must be confused then because the way I understood it was a limit where "x-->c-" means that we only consider values less than c. So with the limit x-->(pi)- wouldn't it have to be negative infinity since infinity would be a value greater than pi or is my logic completely wrong.

9. Oct 2, 2007 #8

dynamicsolo

Homework Helper

Recall that your function is 1/(sin x), so what sign does the denominator have as x approaches pi from lower values?

10. Oct 2, 2007 #9
    Would it be negative since it's approaching a positive value from the left?

11. Oct 2, 2007 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Negative, in the non-affirmative sense. Think about it!

12. Oct 2, 2007 #11
    So would it be a positive value then? That would be the only other option. The reason is why it is positive is what I'm still unsure about.

13. Oct 2, 2007 #12

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What's sin(pi-0.00001). Use a calculator please if you can't draw the graph of sin.

14. Oct 2, 2007 #13
    I get 0.00001 when I enter sin(pi-0.00001) into my calculator.

15. Oct 2, 2007 #14

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Quite reasonable. So what's csc(pi-0.00001) and what happens as x gets even closer to pi?

16. Oct 2, 2007 #15
    I get 100000 and it gets progressively larger and larger the closer it comes to pi, so am I correct to assume the limit is infinity?

17. Oct 3, 2007 #16

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It gets progressively larger and larger. I don't think you have to assume anything. It's infinity. But do you understand why? sin(pi) is zero and to the left of pi, it's positive. So?

18. Oct 3, 2007 #17
    csc is 1/sin, so if sin(pi) is zero a number close to sin(pi) would be a number close zero, so 1/sin(pi) would be 1/(a very small number) and would keep getting larger heading towards infinity. Am I getting close or way off again?

19. Oct 3, 2007 #18

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes. Except now say if the number is approaching pi- the very small number is also a very small positive number. So you can call the limit +infinity. If it's pi+ then you want to say -infinity.

20. Oct 3, 2007 #19
    Alright I think I understand now. Thank you for your help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?