1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit sequences converges

1. Jan 12, 2006 #1
    determine the following sequences converges 17n^54 + 1/n^2 +42 divide by n^55 + 75n^54....

pls help....

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2006 #2
    Looks like something to do on a graphing calculator. Basically you find the limit as n approaches infinity and negative infinity, and see if it converges on a number by pluging in larger and larger values of n. So, for example, that is our function, let's say f(n), and you find that f(-10)=.344 (I'm just making this up, the actual function could be different), f(-100)=.488, f(-1000)=.499998, then the function looks like it converges on .5.

4. Jan 12, 2006 #3
    but i divide every part by n^54 and find the limit and i got 17/(n+75)
    then it goes to zero.is it rite??

5. Jan 12, 2006 #4

TD

Homework Helper

If I understand the problem correctly, it tends to zero indeed.

6. Jan 12, 2006 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Before anyone can determine whether it converges or not you will have to tell us what the sequence really is. Just telling us four terms is not enough. What is the "rule" or general term in the sequence?

7. Jan 12, 2006 #6
    no,the question is eactly same as the above

8. Jan 12, 2006 #7

TD

Homework Helper

I'm assuming you mean the sequence with general term:

[tex]u_n = \frac{{17n^{54} + \frac{1}
    {{n^2 }} + 42}}
    {{n^{55} + 75n^{54} }}[/tex]

9. Jan 12, 2006 #8
    yaya......that's correct

10. Jan 12, 2006 #9

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Oh, I see. I thought what you had written was the series, depending on a parameter n. Divide both numerator and denominator by n55 and it should be easy to see that the sequence converges to 0. As a series or sum, you can "compare" it to 1/n and see that even though the series of terms converges to 0, the series diverges.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?