Limit Sum Integer Method

In summary, the problem can be solved using the Limit Sum Integer method, also known as the Riemann sum. The Riemann sum is calculated with even spacing and is evaluated as a limit as n approaches infinity. The Riemann sum can be expanded before summing the polynomial.
Orion1

How is this problem solved using the Limit Sum Integer method?

[tex]\int_{2}^{10} x^6 \; dx[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Orion1 said:

How is this problem solved using the Limit Sum Integer method?

[tex]\int_{2}^{10} x^6 \; dx[/tex]

Limit Sum Integer method is an odd name.
I assume you mean as a Reiman sum. Usually the Reiman sum is calculated with even spacing.
[tex]\int_{2}^{10} x^6 \; dx=\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}\sum_{i=1}^n (x^*_i)^6{\Delta}x_i=\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}\sum_{i=1}^n (2+i(10-2))^6\frac{(10-2)}{n}[/tex]
Thus all that is needed to work through to the end is the ability to do sums of polynomials.

Last edited:
Of course, to anyone who actually knows how to do an integral,
[tex]\int_2^{10}x^6dx= \frac{1}{7}x^7[/tex] evaluated between 2 and 10. You can use that to check your work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Riemann Sum...

lurflurf said:
[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}\sum_{i=1}^n (2+i(10-2))^6\frac{(10-2)}{n}[/tex]

Should not this Riemann sum actually be:
[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}\sum_{i=1}^n \left( 2 + \frac{i(10-2)}{n} \right)^6 \frac{(10-2)}{n}[/tex]

This was my approach:
[tex]\int_2^{10} x^6 dx = \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{8}{n} \sum_{i = 1}^n x^6 = \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \sum_{i = 1}^n \left( 2 + \frac{8i}{n} \right)^6 \cdot \frac{8}{n}[/tex]

This Riemann sum must be expanded before one can sum the polynomial?

What is the Limit Sum Integer Method?

The Limit Sum Integer Method is a mathematical technique used to determine the value of a series or sequence as the number of terms approaches infinity. It involves taking the limit of the partial sums of the series and can be used to determine whether a series converges or diverges.

How is the Limit Sum Integer Method used in science?

The Limit Sum Integer Method is used in many scientific fields, including physics, chemistry, and engineering. It can be used to model and predict the behavior of systems that involve continuous change, such as growth rates or decay rates. It is also used in statistics to analyze data and make predictions based on trends.

What are the limitations of the Limit Sum Integer Method?

The Limit Sum Integer Method may not be applicable to all types of series or sequences. It only works for series that have a clear pattern or rule, and may not work for more complex or random sequences. Additionally, the method may not always give an accurate answer, as it relies on taking the limit of partial sums rather than the full series.

How does the Limit Sum Integer Method differ from other methods of finding the sum of a series?

Unlike other methods such as the geometric series method or the telescoping series method, the Limit Sum Integer Method does not require knowledge of a specific formula or pattern to find the sum of a series. It can be used for a wider range of series and relies on the concept of limits rather than specific algebraic manipulations.

Are there any real-life applications of the Limit Sum Integer Method?

Yes, the Limit Sum Integer Method has many real-life applications. It is used in economics to model growth and decay rates, in physics to calculate continuous change in systems, and in statistics to analyze data and make predictions. It is also used in computer science to calculate the time complexity of algorithms.