1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit superior question

1. Jan 21, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[itex]\{x_{n}\}\in\mathbb{R^{+}}[/itex] is a bounded sequence and [itex]r=\lim\sup_{n\rightarrow\infty}x_{n}[/itex]. Show that [itex]\forall\epsilon>0,\exists[/itex] finitely many x_{n}>r+\epsilon and infinitely many [itex]x_{n}<r+\epsilon[/itex].

3. The attempt at a solution

By definition of limit superior, [itex]r\in\mathbb{R}[/itex] is such that [itex]\forall\epsilon>0[/itex], [itex]\exists N_{\epsilon}[/itex] s.t. [itex]x_{n}<r+\epsilon, \forall n>N_{\epsilon}[/itex]. This would imply that any [itex]x>r+\epsilon/[itex] is an upper bound on [itex]\{x_{n}\}[/itex]. How do I show that there are finitely many such upper bounds? Is it because [itex]\{x_{n}\}[/itex] is a bounded sequence that there must only be finite [itex]x_{n}>r+\epsilon[/itex] ?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2012 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm not sure what you mean here, but what you've written basically answers the first part of the question. If for [itex]n>N_{\epsilon}[/itex], [itex] x_n<r+\epsilon[/itex], then there are at most [itex]N_{\epsilon}[/itex] values of xn which are larger than [itex]r+\epsilon[/itex]

4. Jan 22, 2012 #3
    I meant that "there are finitely many such [itex]x\in(x_{n})[/itex]". How do I get started proving that there are infinitely many [itex]x\in(x_{n})[/itex] s.t. [itex]x<r+\epsilon[/itex]?

5. Jan 23, 2012 #4
    Suppose there were only finitely many [itex]x_n[/itex] such that [itex]x_n < r + \epsilon[/itex]. Would this in any way contradict the given facts? (Think about the definition of lim sup)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook