Finding the Limit of a Sequence with Taylor Expansion and Exponentials

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the limit of the solution ##x_n## to the equation ##\left( 1+\frac{1}{n} \right)^{n+x} = e## as ##n## approaches infinity. The solution is found by taking the natural logarithm on both sides and using Taylor expansion to simplify the expression. The final result is ##x_n = \frac{1}{2}##, which is different from the initial belief that the limit should be 0. It is important to solve for x in order to determine the correct pattern.
Incand

Homework Statement

Let ##x_n## be the solution to the equation
##\left( 1+\frac{1}{n} \right)^{n+x} = e##

Calculate ##\lim_{n\to \infty} x_n##

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

Since ##\lim_{n \to \infty} \left(1+ \frac{1}{n} \right) = e## that tells me that ##\lim_{n\to \infty} x_n = 0## but the answer in the book says it should be ##\frac{1}{2}## which I don't understand at all.
This is also in a section about Taylorexpansion which suggest I should use that somehow. If I expand on x i get something like this
##\left( 1+\frac{1}{n} \right)^{n+x} = \left( 1+\frac{1}{n} \right)^{n}\cdot \left( 1+\frac{1}{n} \right)^{x} =\left( 1+\frac{1}{n} \right)^{n}\cdot (1+\ln (1+\frac{1}{n})x + O(x^2) )##
which doesn't seen to help me and I still don't see why ##x_n\to \frac{1}{2}##.
Some advice? :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What you are given is [tex]
\left(1 + \frac1n\right)^{n+x_n} = e.[/tex] The first step is to solve for [itex]x_n[/itex] in terms of [itex]n[/itex]. Then you can consider how you might determine the limit.

Likes Incand
Alright I think I got it.
If I take the natural logarithm on both sides i get
##(n+x_n)\left( 1 + \frac{1}{n} \right) = 1##
seperating ##x_n## i get
##x_n = \frac{1-n\ln (1+\frac{1}{n}) }{\ln(1+\frac{1}{n})}##
and If I use taylor expansion ##\ln (1+ \frac{1}{n} ) = \frac{1}{n} - \frac{1}{2n^2} + O(\frac{1}{n^3})## i get (with ##n\to \infty##)
##x_n = \frac{1-n(\frac{1}{n}-\frac{1}{2n^2} + O(\frac{1}{n^3})) } {\frac{1}{n} + O(\frac{1}{n^2})} = \frac{\frac{1}{2n}}{\frac{1}{n}} = \frac{1}{2}##.

Thanks! Any idea where I go wrong In my initial argument where I thought that since ##\left( 1 + \frac{1}{n} \right)^{n} = e## should mean ##x_n=0##?

Edit: Accidently posted twice

I think it might be hidden in the word "solution".
Clearly, the limit of ##\left( 1 + \frac 1n \right)^{n} = e##, but really, any constant in the exponent would have the same limit.
You have to solve for x in order to determine the pattern.

Likes Incand
RUber said:
I think it might be hidden in the word "solution".
Clearly, the limit of ##\left( 1 + \frac 1n \right)^{n} = e##, but really, any constant in the exponent would have the same limit.
You have to solve for x in order to determine the pattern.
Thank you, that makes sense!

1. What is a limit in mathematics?

A limit in mathematics is a fundamental concept that refers to the value that a function or sequence approaches as its input or index approaches a specific value. It is used to describe the behavior of a function or sequence at a certain point.

2. How is a limit calculated?

A limit is calculated by using the concept of continuity, which states that the value of a function at a certain point is equal to the limit of the function as the input approaches that point. This can be calculated using algebraic techniques, graphing, or using calculus methods such as derivatives and integrals.

3. What is a Taylor expansion?

A Taylor expansion is a mathematical series that represents a function as an infinite sum of its derivatives evaluated at a single point. It is used to approximate a function and can be used to find the limit of a function as its input approaches a particular value.

4. How is a Taylor expansion used to find a limit?

A Taylor expansion can be used to find a limit by evaluating the function at a particular point and then using the terms of the series to approximate the limit. The more terms that are included in the series, the more accurate the approximation will be.

5. Why is the Taylor expansion useful?

The Taylor expansion is useful because it allows us to approximate complicated functions and calculate their limits without having to use complicated and time-consuming methods. It also provides a way to study the behavior of a function at a specific point without having to consider its entire domain.