1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit (Taylor expansion?)

1. Jul 20, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let ##x_n## be the solution to the equation
    ##\left( 1+\frac{1}{n} \right)^{n+x} = e##

Calculate ##\lim_{n\to \infty} x_n##

2. Relevant equations
    N/A

3. The attempt at a solution
    Since ##\lim_{n \to \infty} \left(1+ \frac{1}{n} \right) = e## that tells me that ##\lim_{n\to \infty} x_n = 0## but the answer in the book says it should be ##\frac{1}{2}## which I don't understand at all.
    This is also in a section about Taylorexpansion which suggest I should use that somehow. If I expand on x i get something like this
    ##\left( 1+\frac{1}{n} \right)^{n+x} = \left( 1+\frac{1}{n} \right)^{n}\cdot \left( 1+\frac{1}{n} \right)^{x} =\left( 1+\frac{1}{n} \right)^{n}\cdot (1+\ln (1+\frac{1}{n})x + O(x^2) )##
    which doesn't seen to help me and I still don't see why ##x_n\to \frac{1}{2}##.
    Some advice? :)

Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2015 #2

pasmith

Homework Helper

What you are given is [tex]
    \left(1 + \frac1n\right)^{n+x_n} = e.[/tex] The first step is to solve for [itex]x_n[/itex] in terms of [itex]n[/itex]. Then you can consider how you might determine the limit.

4. Jul 20, 2015 #3
    Alright I think I got it.
    If I take the natural logarithm on both sides i get
    ##(n+x_n)\left( 1 + \frac{1}{n} \right) = 1##
    seperating ##x_n## i get
    ##x_n = \frac{1-n\ln (1+\frac{1}{n}) }{\ln(1+\frac{1}{n})}##
    and If I use taylor expansion ##\ln (1+ \frac{1}{n} ) = \frac{1}{n} - \frac{1}{2n^2} + O(\frac{1}{n^3})## i get (with ##n\to \infty##)
    ##x_n = \frac{1-n(\frac{1}{n}-\frac{1}{2n^2} + O(\frac{1}{n^3})) } {\frac{1}{n} + O(\frac{1}{n^2})} = \frac{\frac{1}{2n}}{\frac{1}{n}} = \frac{1}{2}##.

Thanks! Any idea where I go wrong In my initial argument where I thought that since ##\left( 1 + \frac{1}{n} \right)^{n} = e## should mean ##x_n=0##?

5. Jul 20, 2015 #4
    Edit: Accidently posted twice

6. Jul 20, 2015 #5

RUber

Homework Helper

I think it might be hidden in the word "solution".
    Clearly, the limit of ##\left( 1 + \frac 1n \right)^{n} = e##, but really, any constant in the exponent would have the same limit.
    You have to solve for x in order to determine the pattern.

7. Jul 20, 2015 #6
    Thank you, that makes sense!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted