Limit tends to infinity

• Thread starter johndoe
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Why does
[tex] \lim(1+\frac{1}{x})^x = e[/tex]
[tex] x->\infty[/tex]

Answers and Replies

This is one possible definition of the number e.

What is your definition of e?

This is one possible definition of the number e.

What is your definition of e?

O so how do i prove this ?

rock.freak667
Homework Helper
Let

[tex]L=\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty} (1+\frac{1}{x})^x[/tex]

[tex]ln L =ln \lim_{x\rightarrow \infty} (1+\frac{1}{x})^x[/tex]

[tex]ln L =\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty} xln (1+\frac{1}{x})[/tex]

Then use L'Hopital's Rule twice.

Hurkyl
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
If you don't have a definition of e, then you can't.

How do you prove what?:smile:

How do you prove what?:smile:
yea how do you prove a definition? maybe he means how do you consistency?

HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Unfortunately, johndoe hasn't gotten back to us to answer the question about what definition of e he is using.

Yes, many texts define e by that limit. If that is the definition, then no "proof" is required.

Others, however, treat the derivative of f(x)= ax this way:
[tex]f(x+ h)= a^{x+ h}= a^x a^h[/tex]
[tex]f(x+ h)- f(x)= a^xa^h- a^x= a^x(a^h- 1)[/tex]
[tex]\frac{f(x+h)- f(x)}{h}= a^x\frac{a^h- 1}{h}[/tex]
Which, after you have shown that
[tex]\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{a^h-1}{h}[/tex]
exists, shows that the derivative of ax is just a constant times ax.
"e" is then defined as the value of a such that that constant is 1:
[tex]\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{e^h- 1}{h}= 1[/tex]

We can then argue (roughly, but it can be made rigorous) that if, for h close to 0, (eh-1)/h is close to 1, eh- 1 is close to h and so eh is close to h+ 1. Then, finally, e is close to (h+1)1/h. As h goes to 0, 1/h goes to infinity. letting x= 1/h, (h+1)1/h becomes (1/x+ 1)x so
[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty}(1+ \frac{1}{x})^x= e[/tex]

Here's a third definition of "e":
It has become more common in Calculus texts to work "the other way". That is, define ln(x) by
[tex]ln(x)= \int_1^x \frac{1}{t}dt[/itex]
From that we can prove all the properties of ln(x) including the fact that it is a "one-to-one" and "onto" function from the set of positive real numbers to the set of all real numbers- and so has an inverse function. Define "exp(x)" to be the inverse function . Then we define "e" to be exp(1) (one can show that exp(x) is, in fact, e to the x power).

Now, suppose [itex]lim_{x\rightarrow \infty} (1+ 1/x)^x[/itex] equals some number a. Taking the logarithm, x ln(1+ 1/x)must have limit ln(a). Letting y= 1/x, that means that the limit, as y goes to 0, of ln(1+y)/y must be ln(a). But that is of the form "0/0" so we can apply L'hopital's rule: the limit is the same as the limit of 1/(y+1) which is obviously 1. That is, we must have ln(a)= 1 or a= e.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately, johndoe hasn't gotten back to us to answer the question about what definition of e he is using.

Yes, many texts define e by that limit. If that is the definition, then no "proof" is required.

Others, however, treat the derivative of f(x)= ax this way:
[tex]f(x+ h)= a^{x+ h}= a^x a^h[/tex]
[tex]f(x+ h)- f(x)= a^xa^h- a^x= a^x(a^h- 1)[/tex]
[tex]\frac{f(x+h)- f(x)}{h}= a^x\frac{a^h- 1}{h}[/tex]
Which, after you have shown that
[tex]\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{a^h-1}{h}[/tex]
exists, shows that the derivative of ax is just a constant times ax.
"e" is then defined as the value of a such that that constant is 1:
[tex]\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{e^h- 1}{h}= 1[/tex]

We can then argue (roughly, but it can be made rigorous) that if, for h close to 0, (eh-1)/h is close to 1, eh- 1 is close to h and so eh is close to h+ 1. Then, finally, e is close to (h+1)1/h. As h goes to 0, 1/h goes to infinity. letting x= 1/h, (h+1)1/h becomes (1/x+ 1)x so
[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty}(1+ \frac{1}{x})^x= e[/tex]

Here's a third definition of "e":
It has become more common in Calculus texts to work "the other way". That is, define ln(x) by
[tex]ln(x)= \int_1^x \frac{1}{t}dt[/itex]
From that we can prove all the properties of ln(x) including the fact that it is a "one-to-one" and "onto" function from the set of positive real numbers to the set of all real numbers- and so has an inverse function. Define "exp(x)" to be the inverse function . Then we define "e" to be exp(1) (one can show that exp(x) is, in fact, e to the x power).

Now, suppose [itex]lim_{x\rightarrow \infty} (1+ 1/x)^x[/itex] equals some number a. Taking the logarithm, x ln(1+ 1/x)must have limit ln(a). Letting y= 1/x, that means that the limit, as y goes to 0, of ln(1+y)/y must be ln(a). But that is of the form "0/0" so we can apply L'hopital's rule: the limit is the same as the limit of 1/(y+1) which is obviously 1. That is, we must have ln(a)= 1 or a= e.

Ok I see. I didn't know that definition before until I reach a problem requiring me to find that limit.

I believe that the definition of e is:

e is such that when: y=e^x
dy/dx = e^x

Hence via the Taylor Series, the actual value of e can be found

right???