1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit Theorems

1. Feb 4, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Theorem: Let f:[a, ∞)→ R. The following are equivalent.

i) lim ƒ(x) = A as x→∞
    ii) For all sequences {xn
    in [a,∞) with lim xn = ∞

we have lim f(xn) = A.

2. Relevant equations

For any ε > 0, |ƒ(x)-A| < ε if x < N

3. The attempt at a solution

I probably have this wrong, but I think I should show that for any N > 0 in [a, ∞) there exists an xn0 > N if n≥ n0

I imagine that to tie this in to the idea of continuity, I'd have to come up with an arbitrary function f(c) to get |f(xn)-f(c)| < ε when x > N

I just don't know how to say f(x) has the same domain as f(xn) without just stating it.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2014 #2

pasmith

Homework Helper

The second inequality is backwards.

[itex]f(x) \to A[/itex] as [itex]x \to \infty[/itex] if and only if for all [itex]\epsilon > 0[/itex] there exists [itex]R > 0[/itex] such that for all [itex]x \in [a, \infty)[/itex], if [itex]x > R[/itex] then [itex]|f(x) - A| < \epsilon[/itex].

[itex]x_n \to \infty[/itex] if and only if for all [itex]R > 0[/itex] there exists [itex]N \in \mathbb{N}[/itex] such that for all [itex]n \in \mathbb{N}[/itex], if [itex]n \geq N[/itex] then [itex]x_n > R[/itex].

That, sadly, is wrong. It looks like a conflation of the definitions of "[itex]x_n \to \infty[/itex]" (which I have given above) and "the sequence [itex](x_n)[/itex] is not bounded above" (which is "for all [itex]R > 0[/itex] there exists [itex]n \in \mathbb{N}[/itex] such that [itex]x_n > R[/itex]"). Clearly if [itex]x_n \to \infty[/itex], as we are assuming, then it must follow that [itex](x_n)[/itex] is not bounded above.

This exercise has nothing to do with continuity. A function is continuous at [itex]c[/itex] if and only if [itex]\lim_{x \to c} f(x) = f(c)[/itex]. But this exercise is concerned with the limit as [itex]x \to \infty[/itex], and since [itex]\infty[/itex] is not a real number there is no such thing as [itex]f(\infty)[/itex]. Instead we are given [itex]\lim_{x \to \infty} f(x) = A[/itex].

To show that (i) implies (ii), you must assume that [itex]f(x) \to A[/itex] as [itex]x \to \infty[/itex], then take an arbitrary [itex]x_n \to \infty[/itex] and show that for all [itex]\epsilon > 0[/itex] there exists an [itex]N \in \mathbb{N}[/itex] such that for all [itex]n \in \mathbb{N}[/itex], if [itex]n \geq N[/itex] then [itex]|f(x_n) - A| < \epsilon[/itex].

Proving that (ii) implies (i) is slightly harder.

4. Feb 5, 2014 #3
    Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted