Is $\lim_{\Delta x \to 0}f(x+\Delta x) \cdot \Delta x = 0$ True?

In summary: Then f is not continuous at x_0, \lim_{\Delta x\to 0} f(x+ \Delta x) does not exist, and lim_{\Delta x\to 0} f(x_0+ \Delta x)\Delta x= lim_{\Delta x\to 0} \Delta x/x= 0.In summary, the statement ## \lim_{\Delta x \to 0} f(x_0 + \Delta x) \cdot \Delta x= k ## is not always true. It is true if ##f## is continuous at ##x_0## or if the ##\lim_{\Delta x \to 0} f(x+\Delta x) ##
gabel
Is the following true, if no is there som theory i can studdy?

##\lim_{\Delta x \to 0}f(x+\Delta x) \cdot \Delta x = 0##

Physics news on Phys.org
gabel said:
Is the following true, if no is there som theory i can studdy?

##\lim_{\Delta x \to 0}f(x+\Delta x) \cdot \Delta x = 0##

This is not always true. It is true if ##f## is continuous at ##x## or if the ##\lim_{\Delta x \to 0}f(x+\Delta x) ## exists; use the product law for limits. It is true if ##f## is bounded near ##x##; use the Squeeze Theorem.

If ##f## is unbounded near ##x##, the the limit may exist but not be ##0##, or it just might fail to exist. Look at ##f(x)=1/x## and ##f(x)=1/x^2## with ##x=0##.

Thanks, but i really need to show the following if its possibole.

## \lim_{\Delta x \to 0} f(x_0 + \Delta x) \cdot \Delta x= k ## Where k, is a constant.

Is there something i can say aboute f?

What do you mean by "possible"? You have already been told that it is NOT true in general. You have also been told that if f is continuous at [itex]x_0[/itex] or if [itex]\lim_{\Delta x\to 0} f(x+ \Delta x)[/itex] exits then it is true.

I was told in general, so there must be som functions that does the oppeist?

gabel said:
I was told in general, so there must be some functions that does the oppeist?
Who told you that? gopher_p, in the only other response here, said "this is not always true".

Take f(x)= 1/x, [itex]x_0= 0[/itex].

1. What does the notation $\lim_{\Delta x \to 0} f(x+\Delta x) \cdot \Delta x = 0$ mean?

The notation represents the concept of a limit in calculus. It is read as "the limit of f(x) times delta x as delta x approaches 0 is equal to 0". This notation is used to express the idea of a variable approaching a certain value as it gets infinitely close to that value.

2. How is this limit evaluated?

This limit is evaluated using mathematical techniques such as substitution, factoring, or algebraic manipulation. It may also require the use of calculus techniques such as L'Hopital's rule or the squeeze theorem.

3. What conditions must be met for this limit to be true?

In order for this limit to be true, the function f(x) must be continuous and differentiable at the point x. Additionally, the limit must exist and be finite.

4. Can this limit be true for all values of x and delta x?

No, this limit may not be true for all values of x and delta x. It depends on the specific function f(x) and the value of x and delta x being considered. It is possible for this limit to be true for one set of values but not for another.

5. What is the significance of this limit in mathematics and science?

This limit plays a crucial role in calculus and is used to define important concepts such as derivatives and integrals. It also has applications in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields where the concept of a variable approaching a certain value is important.