1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit to Infinty

1. Oct 22, 2012 #1
    Hi, I am a newbie here and a newbie too at calculus since I just started my first year in college. Anyway, there are some questions that I don't quite understand and I hope that anyone can help me with this.

http://sphotos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/269471_368130629940171_945927165_n.jpg [Broken]

I am sorry for the use of an image because I think that the questions are quite complex for me to write on keyboard.

Thank you in advance. :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2012 #2

lurflurf

Homework Helper

a) write
    [tex]\frac{\sqrt{4-x^2}}{x-2}=\sqrt{-1+\frac{4}{x-2}}[/tex]
    b) use the fact
    [tex]e=\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} \left( 1+\frac{1}{n} \right) ^n[/tex]

Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
  4. Oct 22, 2012 #3

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello kuskus94. Welcome to PF !

[itex]\displaystyle \frac{\sqrt{x^2-4}}{x-2}=\frac{\sqrt{(x-2)(x+2)}}{x-2}[/itex]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  5. Oct 23, 2012 #4
    Dear lurflurf,

I sill don't get how the question a) can me modified to be like that and I would like to ask you to break it down more for me.

As for question b), I apologize that my lack of reading. It is my bad to not read the calculus book deeper. :blushing:

Thank you for your reply.

Dear SammyS,

I thank you for welcoming me in this forum. But then I got a waring message from Mark44 (the admin to my suppose) beacuse I didn't state that I have tried doing this question. Well, it was my bad :tongue2:.

For the question a), I still got [tex]{\sqrt{0}}[/tex] over 0. I don't think I have any other idea to workaround this question. I would be really glad if you can help me more. :biggrin:

Thank you in advance.

6. Oct 23, 2012 #5

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You can cancel one of the factors in the numerator. What is [itex]\displaystyle \frac{\sqrt{u}}{u}\ [/itex] or [itex]\displaystyle \frac{\sqrt{3}}{3}\ ?[/itex]

7. Oct 25, 2012 #6
    Ah, I see... Thank you very much for your help. :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook