Troubleshooting Limits: How to Solve \frac{0}{0} Error

• Thread starter johnnyICON
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the conversation discusses how to solve the limit of \frac{(x^2-4x+3)}{(-x^2+2x+3)} as x approaches 1. The original expression is simplified using limit laws and substitution, but the result is \frac{0}{0}. The conversation then delves into factoring the numerator and denominator, with a reminder to use the correct signs. The correct factored expression is \frac{(x-3)(x-1)}{-(x-1)(x+3)}. The final answer is found to be 0 through factoring and simplifying the expression. There is also a brief discussion on the order of operations and the use of parentheses in mathematical expressions.
johnnyICON
I have this question from a past assignment that I never get right, it says the limit is [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex].
But what I keep getting is [itex]undefined[/itex].

Here is the problem: [itex]\lim_{x \to 1} \frac{\x^2 - 4x + 3}{\-x^2 + 2x + 3}[/itex].

I broke it down using limit laws, then substituted in 1 for the x's, and ended up with [itex]\frac{0}{0}[/itex]. What am I doing wrong here? :confused:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Did you try doing any factoring of numerator and denominator first?

Did that as well, I got [itex]\frac{(x-1)(x+4)}{(-x+1)(x+3)}[/itex]. And when you substitute 1 in, its still [itex]\frac{0}{0}[/itex].

I think you factored the top wrong... I get (x-3)(x-1)... that should help you out, because I believe when you cancel (x-3) with the (x+3) on the bottom you get -1. I think.

[tex]\lim_{x \to 1} \frac{x^2 - 4x + 3}{\-x^2 + 2x + 3}[/tex]

I am having a little bit of trouble reading your markup. Is this what we're working on?

or is that squared x term on the bottom negative?

[tex]\lim_{x \to 1} \frac{x^2 - 4x + 3}{\ (-)x^2 + 2x + 3}[/tex]

I am having trouble getting that negative sign to show up.

Last edited:
Math Is Hard said:
or is that squared x term on the bottom negative?

[tex]\lim_{x \to 1} \frac{x^2 - 4x + 3}{\ (-)x^2 + 2x + 3}[/tex]

I am having trouble getting that negative sign to show up.

This is the one. By the way, I've been meaning to ask how to make things look bigger?

I use the itex tags, your using tex tags? Anyway, get back to me on that one later

OH MY ! :eek:
I'm an idiot... I factored wrong... as you may have noticed, my factored numerator is magically [tex](x-1)(x+4)[/tex]... :( It should be [tex](x-1)(x-3)[/tex] right?

Last edited:
And I think I'm wrong by including the sign...

Should it be [tex]\frac{(x-1)(x-3)}{-(x-1)(x-2)}[/tex] rather than [tex]\frac{(x-1)(x-3)}{(-x-1)(x+2)}[/tex] ...?

Last edited:
For the expression you gave -(x+1)(x-3) would be the correct factoring for the denominator.

However:
[tex]\lim_{x \to 1} \frac{(x^2 - 4x + 3)}{(-x^2 + 2x + 3)}\ =\ \frac{0}{4}\ =\ 0
[/tex]​
Are you sure you've got the right expression? The problem is simple unless 1 is actually a root of both the numerator and the denominator.
[tex]\lim_{x \to 1} \frac{(x^2 - 4x + 3)}{(-x^2 - 2x + 3)}\ =\ \frac{1}{2}
[/tex]​
This one works out to the answer you indicated. You can either factor or use l'Hôpital's rule.

Last edited:
Note on tex:

The reason the minus sign is disappearing is due to putting a backslash in front of it.
Incorrect: [tex ]\-x^2+2x+3[/tex]

Correct: [tex ]-x^2+2x+3[/tex]

I know. I keep on double checking to see whether it wasn't just a smudge of ink or pencil mark, but yes, the sign is included...

For your first equation, did you mean numerator instead of denominator?

And how did you get 1/2 for the second one?

Here's what I've been getting
[tex]r(x) =\ \frac{(x-1)(x-3)}{-(x-1)(x-2)} =\ \frac{x-3}{-(x-2)} =\ \frac{1 - 3}{-(1-2)} =\ \frac{-2}{1}[/tex]...??

It seems like I get farther and farther way everytime I try something else...

If your original expression is identical to the one in your book then this is a typo in the book. The limit of the original expression is 0 not 1/2.

Also:
Yes, I do mean the denominator. If a minus sign in front of the squared term makes the factoring difficult, put the expression in a form where you don't need to worry about it:
-x2 - 2x + 3 = -(x2 + 2x - 3)
The factors you give are incorrect:
(x-1)(x-2) = x2 - 3x + 2

DFDKJSDFJFLdfkdfoiaanog Wow, I always manage to read something wrong... ok but wait, doesn't [tex](x+1)(x-3) =\ x^2 - 2x - 3[/tex]?

Yes,
(x + 1)(x - 3) = x2 - 2x - 3
so these are not the correct factors. Keep in mind that it is necessary for 1 to be a root of the polynomial—with your factors, the roots would be -1 and 3.

Alright...

:D

Can you show me how you did this:

[tex]\lim_{x \to 1} \frac{(x^2 - 4x + 3)}{(-x^2 - 2x + 3)}\ =\ \frac{1}{2}
[/tex]

That's with the denominator being (-x+1)(x+3) right?

Yes, that is the denominator. It's generally best though to pull the negative sign outside of the factors: -(x-1)(x+3)

So, you've got the expression factored like this:
[tex]
\lim_{x \to 1} \frac{(x^2 - 4x + 3)}{(-x^2 - 2x + 3)}\ =\ \lim_{x \to 1} \frac{(x-1)(x-3)}{-(x-1)(x+3)}
[/tex]​
Do you see how to proceed from there?

Last edited:
ahh... ! I'm an idiot. THANKS :D

I think where my confusion lies is with that damn negative sign.

It should always be (-x)^2 -2x + 3 unless stated as -(x^2 -2x + 3)...

Trying to make a rule for myself.. do you agree?

The standard rule is that exponents have precedence over multiplication and division, and the latter have precedence over addition and subtraction.

So -x^2+2 without any other notations is always -(x2)+2

This is used universally, so adopting any other convention will just lead to confusion.

Also, to use the convention you give (i.e. addition and subtraction have precedence over exponents) consistently you would end up with:
-x^2+2 = (-x)(2+2)

Thanks. =D

1. What does the "0/0" error mean in the context of limits?

The "0/0" error in limits indicates that the numerator and denominator of the fraction both approach zero as the independent variable approaches a certain value. This results in an indeterminate form, meaning the limit cannot be determined without further analysis.

2. Why is the "0/0" error problematic in solving limits?

The "0/0" error is problematic because it does not provide any information about the behavior of the function at that specific point. It could potentially have a finite limit, approach infinity, or have no limit at all, making it difficult to determine the true value of the limit.

3. How can I solve the "0/0" error in limits?

To solve the "0/0" error, one can use algebraic manipulation, substitution, or L'Hopital's rule. Algebraic manipulation involves simplifying the expression to remove the indeterminate form. Substitution involves plugging in values close to the limit point to see the behavior of the function. L'Hopital's rule allows for the evaluation of the limit by taking the derivative of the numerator and denominator separately.

4. Can the "0/0" error ever result in a finite limit?

Yes, it is possible for the "0/0" error to result in a finite limit. This occurs when the function approaches zero in a manner that cancels out the indeterminate form. For example, if the function approaches zero in a linear or quadratic manner, the "0/0" error can be solved and a finite limit can be determined.

5. Are there any cases where the "0/0" error cannot be solved?

Yes, there are some cases where the "0/0" error cannot be solved. This occurs when the function approaches zero in a way that does not allow for the indeterminate form to be removed, such as when the function oscillates or approaches zero in an exponential manner. In these cases, the limit does not exist.