1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit trouble

1. Jan 22, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    a.\lim_x -->infty arctan(x^2-x^4) =
    b.\lim _x --->pi/2 e^tan (x) =

2. Relevant equations
    Limit laws

3. The attempt at a solution

a. I know I can use the limit laws to take the limit of Arctan@infinity=1/2, but then, I don't know if I should factor out the (x^2-x^4)

b. Don't even know.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2007 #2
    a. x^2-x^4 approaches negative infinity as x approaches positive infinity.

b. Look at both sides of the limit.

4. Jan 22, 2007 #3
    Ok, Im pretty sure b. is 0 because of the rule lim x-->infin e^X=0. We can substitute and look at the graph and it is 0.

Still not sure about a., taking the limit of Arctan@infinity=1/2 and (x^2-x^4) approaches -infinity so what then?

5. Jan 22, 2007 #4
    What is arctan x as x approaches negative infinity? It is not 1/2.

For b, consider that if the right and left sides of the limit don't agree, then there is no limit.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2007
  6. Jan 23, 2007 #5
    I am looking as it approaches +infinity(sorry if I didn't specify) and I am positive it is 1/2. Basicaly [lim x->inf. arctan=1/2]*[lim x->inf. (x^2-X^4)=+infinity}
    right?

7. Jan 23, 2007 #6

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Did you get the hint about b? Try tan 89.999 degrees in your calculator, then then 90.0001, what do you see?

8. Jan 23, 2007 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You appear to be "positive" about several things that are not true!
    tan(1/2)= 0.5463, not infinity! Perhaps you forgot a [itex]\pi[/itex]?

You also say
    There is no such rule. The limit, as x goes to infinity of ex is definitely NOT 0! Surely you have seen a graph of y= ex!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?