Limits of Arctan and Exponential Tangent Functions

In summary, the limit laws can be used to find the limit of Arctan@infinity=1/2, but it is not 1/2. For b, it is not clear whether the right and left sides of the limit agree or not, so there is no limit.
Weave

Homework Statement

a.\lim_x -->infty arctan(x^2-x^4) =
b.\lim _x --->pi/2 e^tan (x) =

Homework Equations

Limit laws

The Attempt at a Solution

a. I know I can use the limit laws to take the limit of Arctan@infinity=1/2, but then, I don't know if I should factor out the (x^2-x^4)

b. Don't even know.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
a. x^2-x^4 approaches negative infinity as x approaches positive infinity.

b. Look at both sides of the limit.

Ok, I am pretty sure b. is 0 because of the rule lim x-->infin e^X=0. We can substitute and look at the graph and it is 0.

Still not sure about a., taking the limit of Arctan@infinity=1/2 and (x^2-x^4) approaches -infinity so what then?

What is arctan x as x approaches negative infinity? It is not 1/2.

For b, consider that if the right and left sides of the limit don't agree, then there is no limit.

Last edited:
IMDerek said:
What is arctan x as x approaches negative infinity? It is not 1/2.

I am looking as it approaches +infinity(sorry if I didn't specify) and I am positive it is 1/2. Basicaly [lim x->inf. arctan=1/2]*[lim x->inf. (x^2-X^4)=+infinity}
right?

Did you get the hint about b? Try tan 89.999 degrees in your calculator, then then 90.0001, what do you see?

Weave said:
I am looking as it approaches +infinity(sorry if I didn't specify) and I am positive it is 1/2. Basicaly [lim x->inf. arctan=1/2]*[lim x->inf. (x^2-X^4)=+infinity}
right?

You appear to be "positive" about several things that are not true!
tan(1/2)= 0.5463, not infinity! Perhaps you forgot a [itex]\pi[/itex]?

You also say
because of the rule lim x-->infin e^X=0
There is no such rule. The limit, as x goes to infinity of ex is definitely NOT 0! Surely you have seen a graph of y= ex!

What is the limit of arctan(x) as x approaches infinity?

The limit of arctan(x) as x approaches infinity is equal to π/2, or 90 degrees. This means that as x gets larger and larger, the value of arctan(x) approaches 90 degrees.

Is there a limit to the exponential tangent function?

Yes, there is a limit to the exponential tangent function. As x approaches positive or negative infinity, the value of the exponential tangent function approaches 0.

What happens to the graph of arctan(x) as x approaches 0?

As x approaches 0, the graph of arctan(x) approaches 0 as well. This means that the slope of the tangent line at x=0 is 0, and the function approaches 0 as x gets closer and closer to 0.

What is the relationship between the limits of arctan(x) and tan(x)?

The limit of arctan(x) as x approaches infinity is equal to the limit of tan(x) as x approaches pi/2. This means that as x gets larger and larger, the value of both functions approaches 90 degrees.

Can the limits of arctan(x) and exponential tangent function be used to solve real-world problems?

Yes, the limits of arctan(x) and exponential tangent function can be used to solve real-world problems in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics. These functions can help to model and analyze various phenomena, such as growth rates, trajectories, and optimization problems.