Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit with parameter

1. Dec 10, 2004 #1
    Find limit n-->infinity of sequence a_n:

a_n = (1^k+2^k+...+n^k)/(n^(k+1)), where k is parameter.

IThanks from advance for any help.

I tried to compute this limit using Stolz Theorem, but I don't know if I can do it in this way.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2004 #2

learningphysics

Homework Helper

What value can k take? The analysis below is for k being an integer and k>=0. For k<0 the denominator is not strictly increasing, so Stolz theorem doesn't hold.

For k>=0 and k being an integer, I think Stolz theorem is a good way to solve the problem:

By applying it... try to find the limit as n->infinity of:

[tex]\frac{(n+1)^k}{(n+1)^{(k+1)}-n^{(k+1)}}[/tex]

You can factor the denominator:

[tex](n+1)^{(k+1)}-n^{(k+1)}=[(n+1)-n][(n+1)^k +(n+1)^{(k-1)}n+(n+1)^{(k-2)}n^2+...][/tex]

Then if you divide both the numerator and denominator by [tex](n+1)^k[/tex] it should be easy to see the limit. Hint: the answer depends on k.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2004
  4. Dec 12, 2004 #3
    One more question: What if k=-1. The limit doesn't exist or limit equals to infinity?

5. Dec 12, 2004 #4

learningphysics

Homework Helper

Yes, the limit does not exist (or another way to say it is the limit is infinity).

If you plug in k=-1 into your sequence you get:

[tex]a_n=\begin{array}{c}n\\\sum\\m=1\end{array}1/m[/tex]

Since [tex]\sum1/m[/tex] is a divergent series, as n->infinity a_n->infinity.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?