1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit with parameter

1. Dec 10, 2004 #1
    Find limit n-->infinity of sequence a_n:

a_n = (1^k+2^k+...+n^k)/(n^(k+1)), where k is parameter.

IThanks from advance for any help.

I tried to compute this limit using Stolz Theorem, but I don't know if I can do it in this way.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2004 #2

learningphysics

Homework Helper

What value can k take? The analysis below is for k being an integer and k>=0. For k<0 the denominator is not strictly increasing, so Stolz theorem doesn't hold.

For k>=0 and k being an integer, I think Stolz theorem is a good way to solve the problem:

By applying it... try to find the limit as n->infinity of:

[tex]\frac{(n+1)^k}{(n+1)^{(k+1)}-n^{(k+1)}}[/tex]

You can factor the denominator:

[tex](n+1)^{(k+1)}-n^{(k+1)}=[(n+1)-n][(n+1)^k +(n+1)^{(k-1)}n+(n+1)^{(k-2)}n^2+...][/tex]

Then if you divide both the numerator and denominator by [tex](n+1)^k[/tex] it should be easy to see the limit. Hint: the answer depends on k.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2004
  4. Dec 12, 2004 #3
    One more question: What if k=-1. The limit doesn't exist or limit equals to infinity?

5. Dec 12, 2004 #4

learningphysics

Homework Helper

Yes, the limit does not exist (or another way to say it is the limit is infinity).

If you plug in k=-1 into your sequence you get:

[tex]a_n=\begin{array}{c}n\\\sum\\m=1\end{array}1/m[/tex]

Since [tex]\sum1/m[/tex] is a divergent series, as n->infinity a_n->infinity.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?