What is the Limit of (1-cos(x))/x as x approaches 0?

In summary: That should simplify it.In summary, the limit of (x*sin(x)) / (2-2*cos(x)) as x approaches 0 is 1. To solve this, one can use l'Hopital's rule or Taylor series, or manipulate the expression using trigonometric identities to get fractions with x in the denominator. Multiplying by (1+cos(x)) / (1+cos(x)) can help simplify the expression and lead to the solution.
icosane

Homework Statement

lim (x*sin(x)) / (2-2*cos(x)
x-> 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I remember the trick to these is to get sinx/x and (1-cosx)/x by multiplying by x/x...

When I multiply the expression by x/x I end up with (x^2 sinx)/(2x(1-cosx))
The sinx/x goes to 1, but the x/(1-cos(x)) goes to zero right? Wouldn't that make the whole expression go to zero, as the separate limits are multiplied together? The book says the answer is one...

Physics news on Phys.org
x/(1 - cos(x)) is indeterminate (of the form [0/0]), so you can't just say that it's approaching 0 as x approaches 0.

You need to apply l'Hopital's rule, that is, to differentiate the numerator and denominator of the expression separately, i.e.:

f/g -> f'/g'

and look at the limit x->0, if it still doesn't work (which is actually the case in this problem) you do it again and check if it gives you a finite value (and you go on until it works).

In this case you first get:

[sin(x) + x*cos(x)]/[2*sin(x)]

which is still nasty as sin(0)=0, then you get:

[2*cos(x) - x*sin(x)]/[2*cos(x)]

which gives you 1 for x=0, you can confirm that by plotting the function (see attached picture).

---

Attachments

• limit.png
    limit.png
    5.4 KB · Views: 325
Last edited by a moderator:
icosane said:

Homework Statement

lim (x*sin(x)) / (2-2*cos(x)
x-> 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I remember the trick to these is to get sinx/x and (1-cosx)/x by multiplying by x/x...

When I multiply the expression by x/x I end up with (x^2 sinx)/(2x(1-cosx))
The sinx/x goes to 1, but the x/(1-cos(x)) goes to zero right? Wouldn't that make the whole expression go to zero, as the separate limits are multiplied together? The book says the answer is one...
The answer is clearly NOT one! Write it as
[tex]\frac{1}{2} sin(x) \frac{x}{1- cos(x)}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{x}{1- cos(x)}[/tex]
goes to 1 but the remaining sin(x) goes to 0.

One can try putting this expression into Mathematica:

Code:
Limit[x*Sin[x]/(2 - 2*Cos[x]), x -> 0]

the answer is 1.

---

Attachments

• notebook.PNG
    notebook.PNG
    2.6 KB · Views: 381
HallsofIvy said:
The answer is clearly NOT one! Write it as
[tex]\frac{1}{2} sin(x) \frac{x}{1- cos(x)}[/tex]
goes to 1 but the remaining sin(x) goes to 0.

Oh, dear, how stupid of me!
goes to 0, not 1 so this is of the form "0/0". The limit is NOT 0 as I asserted!

You need to use L'Hopital's rule repeatedly, as everyone else has been saying.

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 0}\frac{x}{1- cos(x)}[/tex]
doesn't go to 0 either, but its reciprocal does.

If you're not allowed to use l'Hopital, which I never was, Taylor expand the numerator and denominator up to second order.

Last edited:
You don't have to use L'Hopital's rule or Taylor series. You were on the right track with trying to get fractions with x in the denominator. After factoring out the 2, you get

[tex]\frac {xsinx} {1 - cosx}[/tex]

multiply by [tex]\frac {1/x} {1/x}[/tex] to get [tex]\frac {sinx} {\frac {1 - cosx} {x}}[/tex]

Since
[tex]\frac{1 - cosx}{x}[/tex]
leaves us with 0 in the denominator, do something with 1 - cosx to get sinx/x.

Bohrok said:
You don't have to use L'Hopital's rule or Taylor series. You were on the right track with trying to get fractions with x in the denominator. After factoring out the 2, you get

[tex]\frac {xsinx} {1 - cosx}[/tex]

multiply by [tex]\frac {1/x} {1/x}[/tex] to get [tex]\frac {sinx} {\frac {1 - cosx} {x}}[/tex]

Since
[tex]\frac{1 - cosx}{x}[/tex]
leaves us with 0 in the denominator, do something with 1 - cosx to get sinx/x.

Thanks guys! I found this problem in a textbook in a chapter before L'Hopital's rule was covered.

Bohrok, I think I can see that if I multiply by (1+cosx) / (1+cosx) That the resulting expression can be manipulated using the trig identity 1 - cos(x)^2 = sin(x)^2 and then everything falls into place.

I just realized that my assumption that (1-cos(x))/x goes to 0 as x goes to 0 is wrong. Does it go to infinity by any chance?

I'm glad you got it. :smile:

icosane said:
I just realized that my assumption that (1-cos(x))/x goes to 0 as x goes to 0 is wrong. Does it go to infinity by any chance?

No, (1-cos(x))/x does go to 0 as x goes to 0 as I said earlier (but its reciprocal goes to infinity). To find the limit of just (1-cos(x))/x instead of
https://www.physicsforums.com/latex_images/22/2221609-2.png
multiply (1-cos(x))/x by (1+cosx) / (1+cosx) and then evaluate.

1. What is a limit with trig functions?

A limit with trig functions refers to the process of finding the value that a trigonometric function approaches as the input variable approaches a particular value. It is used to determine the behavior of these functions at specific points and to solve complex equations involving trigonometric functions.

2. How do you find the limit of a trig function?

To find the limit of a trig function, you can use algebraic manipulations, trigonometric identities, and the properties of limits. You can also use a graphing calculator or a table of values to approximate the limit. Additionally, you can apply the squeeze theorem or the L'Hospital's rule to evaluate the limit.

3. What are the common trigonometric functions used in limits?

The most commonly used trigonometric functions in limits are sine (sin), cosine (cos), tangent (tan), cotangent (cot), secant (sec), and cosecant (csc). These functions are often used to model periodic behavior and are essential in solving many real-world problems.

4. What are the properties of limits with trig functions?

The properties of limits with trig functions include the sum and difference properties, the product and quotient properties, the power property, and the composition property. These properties allow us to evaluate limits of more complex functions by breaking them down into simpler ones.

5. Why are limits with trig functions important in mathematics?

Limits with trig functions are crucial in mathematics because they provide a way to analyze the behavior of these functions at specific points and to solve equations involving them. They also help us understand the concept of continuity and the relationship between differentiation and integration in calculus.