Limit x->-infinity (x/(z^2+x^2)^0.5) = ?

• Thread starter Eus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the conversation discusses the limit of a function as x approaches negative infinity and the discrepancy between the expected result of -1 and the calculated result of 1. The conversation also includes a correction to the mistake made in the calculation and advice to simplify the function before taking the limit.
Eus
Hi Ho! :smile:

Mmmm... I have a problem with this one:

[itex]\lim_{x\rightarrow-\infty} \frac{x}{\sqrt{z^2+x^2}}[/itex]

Using a computer graphics tool, I found that the result should be -1 by looking at the generated graph.

But if I do it by hands, I find 1 as follows:

[itex]\lim_{x\rightarrow-\infty} \frac{x}{\sqrt{z^2+x^2}} = \lim_{x\rightarrow-\infty} \frac{x \frac{1}{x}}{\sqrt{z^2+x^2} \frac{1}{x}}[/itex]
[itex]= \lim_{x\rightarrow-\infty} \frac{1}{\sqrt{\frac{z^2+x^2}{x^2}}}[/itex]
[itex]= \lim_{x\rightarrow-\infty} \frac{1}{\sqrt{1+(\frac{z}{x})^2}}[/itex]
[itex]= \frac{1}{\sqrt{1+(\frac{z}{-\infty})^2}}[/itex]
[itex]= \frac{1}{\sqrt{1+0}}[/itex]
[itex]= \frac{1}{1}[/itex]
[itex]= 1[/itex]

Would you please correct my mistake?

Thank you very much! :biggrin:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hello there

check this out

[itex]\lim_{x\rightarrow-\infty} \frac{x}{\sqrt{z^2+x^2}}[/itex]
[itex]=\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} \frac{-n}{\sqrt{k^2+n^2}}[/itex]
[itex]= \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} \frac{-n\frac{1}{n}}{\sqrt{k^2+n^2} \frac{1}{n}}[/itex]
[itex]= \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} \frac{-1}{\sqrt{\frac{k^2+n^2}{n^2}}}[/itex]
[itex]= \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} \frac{-1}{\sqrt{1+(\frac{k}{n})^2}}[/itex]
[itex]= \frac{-1}{\sqrt{1+0}}=-1[/itex]

always try to simplify it to something that looks simple

take care

steven

I hope you saw your mistake,you shouln't have sent "x" into its square when taking the limit to "-infinity".

Daniel.

What does the limit x->-infinity (x/(z^2+x^2)^0.5) represent?

The limit represents the value that x approaches as it gets infinitely small, or as it approaches negative infinity. It is a mathematical concept used to analyze the behavior of a function at a particular point.

How do you solve for the limit x->-infinity (x/(z^2+x^2)^0.5)?

To solve for the limit, you can use L'Hopital's rule or algebraic manipulation to simplify the expression. In this case, the limit evaluates to 0 as x approaches negative infinity.

What does the value of the limit x->-infinity (x/(z^2+x^2)^0.5) tell us about the function?

The value of the limit tells us that as x gets infinitely small, the function approaches 0. This means that the function has a horizontal asymptote at y=0 as x approaches negative infinity.

Can the limit x->-infinity (x/(z^2+x^2)^0.5) be evaluated numerically?

Yes, the limit can be evaluated numerically by plugging in a large negative value for x. As x gets larger and larger (approaching negative infinity), the result will get closer and closer to 0.

How does the presence of the square root in the denominator affect the behavior of the limit x->-infinity (x/(z^2+x^2)^0.5)?

The square root in the denominator affects the behavior of the limit by making it approach 0 more quickly. This is because the square root function grows at a slower rate compared to x, which is in the numerator. Therefore, as x approaches negative infinity, the square root term becomes insignificant and the overall limit approaches 0.