Proving the Limit of x*sin(x) as x Approaches Infinity is Equal to 1

• Thread starter karkas
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the limit of a fraction involving a random function and how to prove that a specific limit is equal to 5. The conversation also mentions setting up a function and solving for f(x). It is unclear what the function f(x) represents in this context.
karkas

Homework Statement

The complete exercise is:

If [itex]\lim_{x->\inf } \frac{f(x)-5x^2sin(x)}{(\sqrt (x^2+2))-x} = 7[/itex]

show that [itex]\lim_{x->\inf} \frac{f(x)}{x} = 5[/itex]

Homework Equations

How do I show that [itex]\lim_{x->\inf} xsinx =1[/itex], because I run into it!

The Attempt at a Solution

I set K(x) = the fraction of the first limit and I solved for f(x) (x=0 excluded).

Then I have the limit [itex]\lim_{x->\inf} \frac{f(x)}{x} = \lim_{x->\inf} K(x)*0 + 5 xsinx[/itex].

Yet finally I reach the limit I spoke about in 2.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can't, it eventually oscillates between +/- infinity. What exactly is f(x) in this context?

Random function. It doesn't specify... Any other solutions?

Maybe you're omitting part of the question?
If [itex]
\lim_{x->\inf } \frac{f(x)-5x^2sin(x)}{(\sqrt (x^2+2))-x}
[/itex]
doesn't say anything because you're only giving the condition. Does the limit = something? Is the question asking you to find f(x) such that [itex]\lim_{x->\inf} \frac{f(x)}{x} = 5[/itex]?

Yes indeed I'll fix it.

No, it just wants me to prove the second limit equals 5.

1. What is the limit of x*sin(x) as x approaches infinity?

The limit of x*sin(x) as x approaches infinity is undefined, as the function oscillates between positive and negative infinity.

2. How do you solve the limit of x*sin(x) as x approaches infinity?

You can solve this limit by using L'Hopital's rule, which states that if the limit of the quotient of two functions is indeterminate (such as 0/0 or infinity/infinity), you can take the derivative of the numerator and denominator separately and then evaluate the limit again.

3. Is there a way to simplify the limit of x*sin(x) as x approaches infinity?

No, there is no way to simplify this limit. However, you can use numerical methods or a graphing calculator to approximate the limit.

4. What is the graph of x*sin(x) as x approaches infinity?

The graph of x*sin(x) as x approaches infinity is a sinusoidal wave that oscillates between positive and negative infinity. The amplitude of the wave increases as x increases, but it never reaches a specific value as x approaches infinity.

5. Can you use the Squeeze Theorem to solve the limit of x*sin(x) as x approaches infinity?

No, the Squeeze Theorem cannot be used to solve this limit because the function does not have a bounded range as x approaches infinity. The Squeeze Theorem can only be used on functions with bounded ranges.