What is the meaning of K in |an|\leq K (n \in \mathbb{N})?

• Thread starter Physicsissuef
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Strings
In summary: But for now assume they are true.In summary, to prove that some function is limited, we use the condition |an|\leq K (n \in \mathbb{N}), where K = max { |m| , |M| }. This means that the function will fall between the absolute minimum and maximum values of |m| and |M|. The use of absolute values is necessary in case the function is negative. This can also be applied to sequences, as shown in the examples of a_n=\frac{2n+1}{n} and a_n=\frac{(-1)^n}{n}. Additionally, for sequences to converge, the function must also be bounded.
Physicsissuef
To prove that some function is limited we use |an|[itex]\leq K (n \in \mathbb{N})[/itex] where K = max { |m| , |M| }

What this last part mean K = max { |m| , |M| } ?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
well, i think that |m| and |M| are the absolute minimum and max, that the function reaches in a certian interval. So if it is limited we choose the max of these two, so we can assure ourselves that our function will fall between these two.

It is obvious that m<M but since we are talking about abs values, then it is possible that

|m|>|M| that's why we choose the max of their abs values, since this way we are saying that

-max(|M|,|m|)< a_n<max(|m|,|M|)

but why abs? is { |m|, |M| } some kind of point?

i don't know what you exactly mean when you say is { |m|, |M| } some kind of point?

We say that a function f is bounded on an interval, call it I, if there exists a K>0 such that

|f(x)|<K for every x in I. This means that f(x) will lay between -K and K that is -K<f(x)<K for all x's in I. Now, asuume that f is continusous in a closed interval [a,b], so it means that in this interval the function reaches it's max and min values. That is there are two points c, d, on the interva. (a,b) such that f(c)=m, and f(d)=M. What this is telling us is that

[tex] m\leq f(x)\leq M[/tex] for all x in [a,b]. This tells us that the function is bounded. Now let K=max{|m|,|M|} we take abs in here since our function might as well be negative, so

[tex] |f(x)|\leq K=>-K\leq f(x)\leq K[/tex] But K is either |m| or |M| whichever of these is greater in abs value.

Say for example that both m and M are positive, then what this is telling us is that for all x's in [a,b] -M<f(x)<M, but if say both m and M are negative then |m|>|M| so this is telling us that

-|m|<f(x)<|m| for all x
s in [a,b]

so K = max{ |m|, |M| } , means the maximum value of this two in abs ?

I think I understand you know. And what about this string:

[tex]a_n=\frac{2n+1}{n}[/tex]

[tex]|a_n| \leq K [/tex]

[tex]|a_n|=|\frac{2n+1}{n}|=|2+\frac{1}{n}| > 2[/tex]

What should I do with this one (this is example, not homework question)

Thank you.

Physicsissuef said:
so K = max{ |m|, |M| } , means the maximum value of this two in abs ?

I think I understand you know. And what about this string:

[tex]a_n=\frac{2n+1}{n}[/tex]

[tex]|a_n| \leq K [/tex]

[tex]|a_n|=|\frac{2n+1}{n}|=|2+\frac{1}{n}| > 2[/tex]

What should I do with this one (this is example, not homework question)

Thank you.
well, now

[tex]|a_n|=|\frac{2n+1}{n}|=|2+\frac{1}{n}|\leq 3[/tex]

because when n=1 then a_n=3, and for any n greater than 1 we will get sth that is smaller than 3, so it means that a_n is bounded by 3 for any n.

P.S. these are sequences, not functions. Well, in a sense they are, but still.

So [tex]-3 \leq a_n \leq 3[/tex], like this?

And, what about:

[tex]a_n=\frac{(-1)^n}{n}[/tex]

[tex]|a_n|=|\frac{(-1)^n}{n}|[/tex]

[tex]|a_n|=|\frac{(-1)^n}{n}| \leq K [/tex]

How will I prove for this one?

well,

[tex]|a_n|=|\frac{(-1)^n}{n}|=\frac{|(-1)^n|}{|n|}=\frac{1}{|n|}\leq 1[/tex]

[tex]|(-1)^n|=1[/tex] because if we take n even, then it is obviously poz. but also if we take n odd, then (-1)^n=-1 but the abs value of -1 is still 1, so that makes it valid.

NOte , we can do this only when the sequence a_n converges, other wise we would not be able to do this all the time.

And what about this:

[tex]a_n=\frac{(-1)^n+1}{n}[/tex]

[tex]|a_n|=|\frac{(-1)^n+1}{n}|=|\frac{(-1)^n}{n}+\frac{1}{n}|=|\frac{(-1)^n}{n}|+|\frac{1}{n}|=\frac{1}{|n|}+|\frac{1}{n}|=\frac{2}{|n|} \leq 1[/tex]

Like this?

Physicsissuef said:
And what about this:

[tex]a_n=\frac{(-1)^n+1}{n}[/tex]

[tex]|a_n|=|\frac{(-1)^n+1}{n}|=|\frac{(-1)^n}{n}+\frac{1}{n}|=|\frac{(-1)^n}{n}|+|\frac{1}{n}|=\frac{1}{|n|}+|\frac{1}{n}|=\frac{2}{|n|} \leq 1[/tex]

Like this?
Well u did a couple of mistakes in there, compare it to this

[tex]|a_n|=|\frac{(-1)^n+1}{n}|=|\frac{(-1)^n}{n}+\frac{1}{n}|\leq|\frac{(-1)^n}{n}|+|\frac{1}{n}|=\frac{1}{|n|}+|\frac{1}{n}|=\frac{2}{|n|} \leq 2[/tex]

Ok, thank you very much. In this case [tex]\frac{1}{|n|}=|\frac{1}{n}|[/tex], right?

Physicsissuef said:
Ok, thank you very much. In this case [tex]\frac{1}{|n|}=|\frac{1}{n}|[/tex], right?
Yup, these are some of the properties of the abs value, and they can be proved.

1. What are limited strings?

Limited strings refer to a type of data structure used in computer programming to store a sequence of characters with a predetermined maximum length. This maximum length is set at the time of creation and cannot be changed, hence the term "limited". Limited strings are often used to represent words, phrases, or other text-based data.

2. How are limited strings different from regular strings?

Regular strings do not have a predetermined maximum length and can be modified or extended as needed. Limited strings, on the other hand, have a fixed length and cannot be changed once they are created. This makes them more efficient in terms of memory usage, but also limits their flexibility.

3. What are the advantages of using limited strings?

One of the main advantages of using limited strings is their efficient use of memory. Since the maximum length is predetermined, the computer does not need to allocate extra memory space for potential modifications. This can be particularly useful in situations where memory is limited, such as in embedded systems or mobile devices.

4. What are the limitations of limited strings?

The main limitation of limited strings is their lack of flexibility. Once created, the length of a limited string cannot be changed, so if the data being stored exceeds the predetermined length, it will result in an error. Limited strings also cannot be concatenated or combined with other strings, as this would require modifying the original string.

5. In what situations are limited strings commonly used?

Limited strings are commonly used in situations where a fixed-length data structure is needed, such as when storing passwords or credit card numbers. They are also commonly used in low-level programming languages, where memory management is critical. In addition, limited strings are often used in database systems to define the maximum length of a field in a table.