For Part A: Find Limiting Reactant of 2.70g Al & 4.05g Cl2

• Thread starter mugzieee
  • Start date
In summary, using the given equation 2Al+3Cl2=Al2Cl6 for the reactants and their respective masses of 2.70g Al and 4.05g Cl3, it is determined that Cl2 is the limiting reactant. To find the mass of Al2Cl3 produced, another equation can be set up using Al2Cl3 as the product and Al and Cl2 as the reactants. Using the mol ratio with the limiting reactant (Cl2), a total of 0.019mol of Al2Cl6 is produced, which can be converted to a mass of 5.07g.
mugzieee
2Al+3Cl2=Al2Cl6
a)which reactant is limiting if 2.70g Al and 4.05g Cl3 is mixed.
b)what mass of Al2Cl3 can be produced.

for part a i found the limiting reactant to be Cl2. I don't understand what I am supposed to do for the second part. Should i write another equation as Al2Cl3 as the product, Al, and Cl2 as the reactants, balance it, and then use the limiting reagant from the aboove part to find the mass of Al2Cl3? I am not really sure what the question is trying to ask.

Physics news on Phys.org
use mol ratio with your lim. reagant to find out how many mol of al2cl6 you will have. then multiply this out with the molar mass of the product.

regards,

Nenad

ok, here is what I am getting for an answer. The total amount of product produced is 0.019mol and the mass of this is:
[tex] 0.057mol Cl_{2} x \frac{1mol Al_{2}Cl_{6}}{3mol Cl_{2}} = 0.019mol Al_{2}Cl_{6} [/tex]
[tex] 0.019mol Al_{2}Cl_{6} x \frac{266.78g Al_{2}Cl_{6}}{1mol Al_{2}Cl_{6}} = 5.07g Al_{2}Cl_{6} [/tex]

thats my answer, what are you getting?

Regards,

Nenad

1. What is a limiting reactant?

A limiting reactant is the reactant in a chemical reaction that is completely used up and determines the amount of product that can be formed.

2. How do you find the limiting reactant?

To find the limiting reactant, you need to compare the amount of each reactant given in the problem to the balanced equation. The reactant with the smaller amount is the limiting reactant.

3. What are the steps to find the limiting reactant in this problem?

The steps to find the limiting reactant are:
1. Write out the balanced chemical equation
2. Convert the given amounts of each reactant to moles
3. Use the mole ratio from the balanced equation to calculate the moles of product that can be formed from each reactant
4. The reactant with the smaller amount of product formed is the limiting reactant.

4. What is the limiting reactant in this problem?

In this problem, the limiting reactant is aluminum (Al).

5. How much product can be formed from the limiting reactant?

From the given amounts of 2.70g Al and 4.05g Cl2, the limiting reactant (Al) can produce 0.1 moles of product (AlCl3).