Limiting Reagent: 34g NH3 to Produce 26g N2

• Thread starter brake4country
  • Start date
In summary: When gaseous ammonia is passed over solid copper (II) oxide at high temperatures, nitrogen gas is formed.The limiting reagent in this reaction is copper (II) oxide. When 34 grams of ammonia are mixed with 1 mole of copper (II) oxide, nitrogen gas is produced.
brake4country

Homework Statement

When gaseous ammonia is passed over solid copper (II) oxide at high temperatures, nitrogen gas is formed.

2NH3 + 3CuO → N2 + 3Cu + 3 H2O

What is the limiting reagent when 34 grams of ammonia form 26 grams of nitrogen in a reaction that runs to completion?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Using stoichiometry to find the solution in terms of N2, I get:

34 g NH3 x 1 mol NH3/17 g NH3 x 1 mol N2/2 mol NH3

= 1 mol N2

Then,

3 mol Cuo x 1 mol N2/3 mol CuO

= 1 mol N2

What am I doing wrong? I have tried this problem 7 times.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are not told how many moles of CuO were present, so you can't use them directly in your calculations.

If there were 26 grams of nitrogen produced, did all ammonia react?

That's what I am trying to figure out. However, I can find the grams of CuO produced by starting with 34 grams of ammonia, converting it to moles, then using the mole-mole ratio. I get 240 grams of CuO.

The problem is determining the LR from here. When I use the grams of Cuo as well as the grams of ammonia (in terms of nitrogen gas), I keep getting 1 mole for each.

How is this problem different from other basic stoichiometry problems? Is it because normally we are given the amounts of both reactants which makes it easier to determine the LR?

brake4country said:
I can find the grams of CuO produced by starting with 34 grams of ammonia, converting it to moles, then using the mole-mole ratio. I get 240 grams of CuO.

That's not how much CuO was present. That's how much would be necessary to react with all ammonia. This is not necessarily amount of CuO present.

The problem is determining the LR from here. When I use the grams of Cuo as well as the grams of ammonia (in terms of nitrogen gas), I keep getting 1 mole for each.

You calculated how much would be needed to react with ammonia, no wonder it fits amount of ammonia.

How is this problem different from other basic stoichiometry problems? Is it because normally we are given the amounts of both reactants which makes it easier to determine the LR?

It is not different - or, if you see at as different, that's because you were not trained to see the whole picture, just part of it.

Let me put the question differently: if there were 26 grams of nitrogen produced, how many grams of ammonia reacted?

So, I have to work backwards on this one?

For example, begin with 26 grams of nitrogen gas and convert to moles of ammonia = 1.86 mol ammonia

Then from 26 grams of nitrogen gas, find the moles of CuO = 2.78 mol CuO

Last, compare each with the mole ratios = .92 mol nitrogen (in terms of CuO); .93 mol nitrogen (in terms of ammonia).

Am I on the right track? Sorry for the flow-chart like description.

Thanks.

brake4country said:
So, I have to work backwards on this one?

Yes.

For example, begin with 26 grams of nitrogen gas and convert to moles of ammonia = 1.86 mol ammonia

And what is mass of 1.86 moles of ammonia?

You are doing everything to not answer the simple question that I asked, but to mix it with irrelevant data.

Limiting Reagents

Borek said:
Yes.

And what is mass of 1.86 moles of ammonia?

You are doing everything to not answer the simple question that I asked, but to mix it with irrelevant data.

1.86 moles of ammonia = 31.62 grams of ammonia.

Limiting Reagents

Okay, I am still confused about this problem.

2 NH3+ 3 CuO → N2+3Cu + 3 H2O

Here is what I did:

26 g N2 x 1 mol N2/28 g N2 x 3 mol Cuo/1 mol N2 =

2.78 mol CuO

26 g N2 x 1 mol N2/28 g N2 x 2 mol NH3/ 1 mol N2 = 1.85 mol NH3

2.78 mol CuO x 80 g CuO/1 mol CuO = 222.4 g CuO

1.85 mol NH3 x 17 g NH3/ 1 mol NH3 = 31.45 g NH3

Knowing that the amount of NH3 used up is less than the provided amount in the problem and also considering that the reaction requires 222.4 mol CuO, am I to assume that CuO is limiting because the ammonia is 31.45 g?

brake4country said:
1.86 moles of ammonia = 31.62 grams of ammonia.

And that's all you need to know - by definition, limiting reagent is the one used to the end. Ammonia was not used to the end, so it was in excess. If it was in excess, CuO was the limiting reagent.

Everything else you did was just confusing you. Especially, you don't have to calculate amount of CuO once you know ammonia was in excess.

Likes 1 person

1. What is a limiting reagent?

A limiting reagent is the reactant in a chemical reaction that gets used up first and limits the amount of product that can be formed.

2. How do you determine the limiting reagent in a chemical reaction?

To determine the limiting reagent, you can compare the amount of each reactant given in the problem and calculate the amount of product that can be formed using each reactant. The reactant that produces the smallest amount of product is the limiting reagent.

3. What is the purpose of calculating the limiting reagent?

Calculating the limiting reagent allows you to determine the maximum amount of product that can be formed in a chemical reaction. This information is important for determining the efficiency of the reaction and for planning the amount of reactants needed for a desired amount of product.

4. Can the limiting reagent change in a chemical reaction?

Yes, the limiting reagent can change depending on the amount of each reactant present. If the amounts of reactants are changed, the limiting reagent may also change.

5. How does the given amount of a reactant affect the amount of product formed?

The given amount of a reactant affects the amount of product formed because the limiting reagent determines the maximum amount of product that can be formed. If the given amount of a reactant is too low, it will limit the amount of product that can be formed.