Limits and choosing an epsilon properly?

In summary, to show that f(x) > K for all x in the punctured open interval of width 2h centred at d, where d and K are given real numbers and lim f(x) > K, we can use the idea that if there are two real numbers as close as you like, then they are basically the same real. We can also use the definition of the limit, which involves choosing an epsilon and delta, to show that f(x) will be some distance away from any number not equal to the limit L, on some punctured disc centered at c. In order to choose an epsilon properly, we must consider how far L is from K. The concept of delta and epsilon is important in understanding limits
matrix_204
I really need help on solving this question:

Let d and K be given real numbers. Suppose that lim f(x) > K.
x->c
Show that there is a number h>0 such that f(x) > K for all x in the punctured open interval of width 2h centred at d.

The only hint that i was given was that if there are two real numbers as close as you like, then they are basically the same real.
How can i show this using this idea?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is c=d?

yes that is the idea, but how am i suppose to show that it's equal

Suppose [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow c}f(x)=L>K[/tex]

Write down the definition of the limit in this case. There's a [tex]|f(x)-L|<\epsilon[/tex] part. This controls how close f is to L. By chosing epsilon properly, you can force f to be some distance away from any number not equal to L (on some punctured disc centered at c of course).

For example if you know [tex]|f(x)-L|<1/2[/tex] on some interval, then can [tex]f(x)=L+1/2[/tex] on this interval? Can it equal anything larger? What's the lowest it could be?

What does it mean when asking to chosing an epsilon properly?

Also, can someone clarify, how the graph of two horizontal lines work? i.e, y=L , y=f.

Last edited:
matrix_204 said:
What does it mean when asking to chosing an epsilon properly?

Also, can someone clarify, how the graph of two horizontal lines work? i.e, y=L , y=f.

You can think of epsilon as bounds for your function on the corresponding interval [tex]0<|x-c|<\delta[/tex].On this interval, your function will only take on values above [tex]L-\epsilon[/tex] and below [tex]L+\epsilon[/tex]. How do you pick epsilon to leave K out of this range? If epsilon is too large, you won't be able to rule out the possibility that f(x)=K.

Your horizontal lines..y=L would just be a horizontal line at height L, y=f won't necessarily be a horizontal line, f is a function. I don't think I understand your question.

So in order to show that f(x)> K for all x.. what are the main steps required in proving this, and also is there any techniques that can be used in solving delta-epsilon type of problems? I m really confused in these types of problems, i don't seem to understand the concept of delta and epsilon, like i kno that they are really small and can be regarded as equal, or not equal but very close, etc.

1) pick an [tex]\epsilon >0[/tex] so that if [tex]|f(x)-L|<\epsilon[/tex] you know [tex]|f(x)-K|>0[/tex]. Your particular epsilon will depend on how far L is from K.
2) Appeal to the definition of the limit to produce a [tex]\delta >0[/tex] so that if [tex]0<|x-c|<\delta[/tex] then [tex]|f(x)-L|<\epsilon[/tex]. You won't know what this delta is, but the fact that the limit is L guarantees it's existence.
3) Combine the above.

epsilon-delta type proofs are important if you want an understanding of calculus. Everything you do later on depends on limits, and without understanding epsilon-delta you won't rigorously understand what a limit is. You really need to work some examples and try to understand the definition of the limit as much as possible. Practice is important.

1. What is the definition of a limit?

A limit is the value that a function approaches as the input approaches a certain value or "approaches" infinity.

2. How do you determine the limit of a function?

To determine the limit of a function, you can either use algebraic methods such as factoring or simplifying the function, or you can use graphical methods by plotting the function and observing the trend of the graph as the input approaches a certain value.

3. What is the importance of choosing an epsilon properly?

Epsilon, or ε, is a small positive number used to define the "closeness" of a number to its limit. Choosing the right epsilon is crucial in determining the accuracy of the limit and ensuring that the limit exists. A poorly chosen epsilon can result in a misleading or incorrect limit value.

4. How do you choose an appropriate epsilon?

There is no one "correct" way to choose an epsilon, as it often depends on the specific function and the level of precision needed. Generally, it is recommended to choose an epsilon that is small enough to accurately define the limit, but not too small that it becomes computationally difficult to work with. It is also important to consider any restrictions or limitations of the function.

5. Can you give an example of choosing an epsilon properly?

Sure, for the function f(x) = x^2, as x approaches 2, we want to find the limit. To choose an appropriate epsilon, we can plot the graph and observe that as x approaches 2, the y-value approaches 4. So we can choose an epsilon of 0.1, meaning that we want the limit to be within 0.1 units of 4. This gives us a range of 3.9 to 4.1, which accurately defines the limit of the function at x = 2.