1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limits and Continuity

1. Oct 4, 2005 #1
    I'm having a little trouble trying to figure out these problems. Any help would be appreciated.

g(x) = (x^2 - a^2)/(x-a) when x≠a but 8 when x=a... how do i find the constant a so that the function will be continuous on the entire real line?

f(x)= x^3 - x^2 + x - 2 on closed interval [0,3] f(c)=4. How do I find the value of c that is guaranteed by the Intermediate Value Theorem?
    ---I've proven via IVT that there exists a 0 in [0,3] but I do not know how to find the c value.

if f(x)=g(x) for x≠c and f(c)≠g(c) then either f or g is not continuous at c. True or False.
    --- I haven't a clue. I can't even think of an example where f(x)=g(x) but f(c)≠g(c).

this last one I just want to make sure i'm doing it right.
    Show that the Dirichlet function f(x)= 0 if x is rational and 1 if x is irrational
    is not continous at any real number.

if I just write D(x) = lim m→∞ lim n→∞ cos^2n (m! pi x) is that showing that the function is not continuous at any real number?

Again, I'd appreciate any help or pointers in the right direction. Thanks.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2005 #2
    cant u simplify the first one such that you get g(x) = x+a and a cna be any real number?

ALso for the continuity proof
    use the DEFINITION OF CONTINUITY that is
    [tex] \lim_{x \rightarrow c} f(x) = f(c) [/tex] if [tex] \forall \epsilon >0, \exists \delta>0 [/tex] such that if [tex] 0<|x-c|< \delta [/tex] then [tex] |f(x)-f(c)| <\epsilon [/tex]

you have to use the definition to prove continuity. Who says that that formula u wrote is continuous or not?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?