1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limits and differentiability

1. Nov 24, 2005 #1
    Am mainly stuck on parts c) and d) but thought i'd put in the other questions as an aid

2. a) Define what it means to describe a function f of two real variables as differentiable at (a, b)? Define (as limits) the partial derivatives df/dx and df/dy at
    (a, b) and prove that if f is differentiable at (a, b) then both these partial derivatives exist.

b) Prove from the definition in a) that the function f defined by f(x,y) =xy(x+y) is differentiable at every point of it’s domain

c) If g(x, y) = xy prove that g is not differentiable at (0, b) for any non- zero value of b

d) Prove that the function g of part c) is differentiable at all points (a,b) for which a is not zero and at the origin (0,0)
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2005 #2
    it this correct
    2. a) f is differentiable at (a,b) iff there exists a linear mapping L such that lim((f(a+h,b+k)-f(a,b)-L(h,k))/|(h,k)|,(h,k)->(0,0))=0. ∂f/∂x(a,b)=lim((f(a+h,b)-f(a,b))/h,h->0), and ∂f/∂y(a,b)=lim((f(a,b+k)-f(a,b))/k,k->0).
    does L=grad f; that is, L(h,k)=(∂f/∂x,∂f/∂y).(h,k)=h*∂f/∂x+k*∂f/∂y.

what do i do next?
  4. Nov 24, 2005 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

L is the derivative of f in the direction of the vector <h,k> (i.e. from (a,b) to (a+h,b+k). In a given coordinate system, L is the gradient of f, evaluated at (a,b), dot the vector <h,k>. Note, however, that L, as a linear mapping, exists without a coordinate system. The partial derivatives, of course, depend upon the coordinate system. It is also true, by the way, that a function can have partial derivatives at a point and not be differentiable there.

For b, c, and d, about all I can say is "do it"! You can find the partial derivatives of each so you know what L is for each one. Put the functions and L into the formula in a and do the algebra.
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?