1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Limits and Laurent series

1. Nov 9, 2016 #1
    hi, I try to calculate the integral
    $$\int_{0}^{1}log(\Gamma (x))dx$$

and the last step To solve the problem is:
    $$1 -\frac{\gamma }{2} + \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty } \frac{H_{n}}{2} + n + log(\Gamma (n+1)) - (n+1)(log(n+1))$$
    and wolfram alpha tells me something about series expansion at ##n=\infty## of laurent series
    http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?...rmassumption={"C",+"limit"}+->+{"Calculator"}

I know a little about series of laurent, but I do not understand how they serve to solve limits
    and expansion at ##n=\infty##.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2016 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

If the Laurent series does not include positive powers of n (as in this problem), then the absolute term is your limit (the negative powers vanish for n->infinity).

If it has a finite number of positive powers of n, then your expression does not have a limit. If none of those cases apply, it gets complicated.

4. Nov 10, 2016 #3
    I do understand that, but what does it mean "expansion at ##n=\infty##". and how wolfram alpha obtained for complicated expresions like
    $$\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty } \frac{H_{n}}{2} + n + log(\Gamma (n+1)) - (n+1)(log(n+1))$$

5. Nov 10, 2016 #4

mfb

2016 Award

It is the same as an expansion around u=0 for u=1/n.

How: Sum all terms of the expansion of the summands in the usual way.

6. Nov 13, 2016 #5
    but expancion at u=0 of n=1/u Is not it just 1/u?
    like expancion at z=0 of y= z^2 - 3z +1/z is not just z^2 - 3z +1/z?

and other question:
    the expancion of 1/z at z=n is
    $$\frac{1}{z}=\frac{1}{u+n}=\frac{1}{n}\, \frac{1}{1+\frac{u}{n}}=\sum_{k=0}^{\infty }\frac{(-1)^{k}\, (z-n)^{k}}{n^{k+1}}$$

for n tends to infinity Would be
    $$\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty }+\frac{1}{n}-\frac{z-n}{n^{2}}+... = 0$$

so... what mistake I have?

7. Nov 14, 2016 #6

mfb

2016 Award

The limit of 1/z for z->infinity is 0. Where is the problem?
    If you expand around n, letting the expansion point go to infinity looks odd.
    Those are the correct expansions.

8. Nov 14, 2016 #7
    thanks =D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted