1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limits Approaching Infinity

1. Jun 26, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    How would you take this limit? The function is:
    [tex]lim_{x\rightarrow -∞}\frac{\sqrt{9x^{6}-x}}{x^{3}+1}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    34oy2d2.jpg
    Uh, square root of negative infinity?

Graphing tells me that this should go to -3.

I just recalled that I can pull the 9 out to get 3root(-∞) ?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 26, 2011 #2

eumyang

Homework Helper

Nooooooo... you can't just divide by x3 when you have a square root in the numerator!

4. Jun 26, 2011 #3

gb7nash

Homework Helper

You made an error with the squareroot. On the numerator, you're multiplying by 1/x^3 (which is fine). How do you proceed to move this into the squareroot?

5. Jun 26, 2011 #4
    We briefly touched on this idea in class Friday, and only talked about polynomials, and the proof of the way we determine horizontal asymptotes without limits.

[tex]lim_{x\rightarrow -∞}\frac{\frac{\sqrt{9x^{6}-x}}{x^3}}{1+\frac{1}{x^3}}[/tex]

I'm really not sure where to go from there?

6. Jun 26, 2011 #5

eumyang

Homework Helper

Note that
    [tex]x^3 = -\sqrt{x^6}[/tex]
    (since x is approaching negative infinity)

So
    [tex]lim_{x\rightarrow -∞}\frac{\frac{\sqrt{9x^{6}-x}}{x^3}}{1+\frac{1}{x^3}} = lim_{x\rightarrow -∞}\frac{\frac{\sqrt{9x^{6}-x}}{-\sqrt{x^6}}}{1+\frac{1}{x^3}} = ...[/tex]

7. Jun 26, 2011 #6
    20qark3.jpg

I get what to do now, for the most part. Now I assume I must have some sign error. As noted above
    [tex]x^3=\sqrt{x^6}[/tex]
    I don't understand how you got the negative there. The exponent is odd. Is it because the limit to -inf assumes x is negative?

8. Jun 26, 2011 #7

Char. Limit

Gold Member

Yes, that's right. Since x is negative, x^3 is the negative square root of x^6.

9. Jun 26, 2011 #8
    So, should I be dividing everything by the negative highest degree in the cases when x tends to negative infinity?

If that is the case, then the top would evaluate to -3 sure, but the denominator would be -1 after the limit, making the solution positive 3?

10. Jun 26, 2011 #9

Char. Limit

Gold Member

No, no. You're still dividing top and bottom by x^3, not -x^3. However, in the "denominator of the numerator", you're going to change x^3 to -sqrt(x6). Now, why -sqrt(x6) and not +sqrt(x6)? The reason is because x^3 is only equal to sqrt(x6) for positive x. For negative x, x^3 is equal to -sqrt(x6).

Hopefully I helped out a bit here.

11. Jun 26, 2011 #10
    I'm not sure I understand why only the numerators denominator is getting the negative?

12. Jun 26, 2011 #11

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Because you leave the denominator's denominator as x3.

In the numerator's denominator you change x3 to [itex]-\sqrt{x^6}\,.[/itex]

13. Jun 26, 2011 #12
    So essentially, the whole expression is getting it's sign changed then?

14. Jun 26, 2011 #13

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes ... At least that's the way in appears.

Actually, the expression is less than zero (i.e., negative) for x < -1 . It's just that you need to explicitly provide a negative sign when you change x3 to [itex]-\sqrt{x^6}[/itex] if x < 0 .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook