1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limits Confusion, quick help needed

1. Dec 5, 2004 #1
    lets say there r two functions, f( x) and g(x ), and the limits of both of these function as x approaches c, does not exist but the lim(f(x )*g(x )) can still exist as x approaches c.

I have tried doing several examples of functions that dont exist and then i got confused because if the two functions f and g, dont exist then how am i suppose to kno their values, and when i multiply the two, how can the multiple of two non-existing functions exist. need help as fast as possible, thanks
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2004 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

f({x | x < c}) = {0}, f({x | x > c}) = {1}. Use this and a similar definition for g.
  4. Dec 5, 2004 #3
    yess, i tried that, but i dont understand the part, where wen u multiply the two, the function exists, how do u kno the value of the non-existing functions
  5. Dec 5, 2004 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How about

[tex]f(x) = e^{\frac {1}{x-c}[/tex]

[tex]g(x) = e^{\frac {-1}{x-c}[/tex]

though I'd still have a problem concering whether the product is defined?
  6. Dec 5, 2004 #5
    well i sumhow have done it using an example, but it doesn't seem to me like that it is true for every non-existing functions, but ne ways, since the question asks for a specific example, i dont think there is anything more i could do. Btw i haven't really learned the e notation practically yet, maybe next semester, lol, but thanks anyways.
  7. Dec 5, 2004 #6

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Huh? I don't know why you're talking about non-existing functions. If you tried what I suggested in my post, I can't see where you would be having problems. Perhaps you did not understand, but I didn't think too much explanation was need for such a problem. Anyhow:

Define f(x) = 1 for x < c, and f(x) = 0 otherwise. Similarly, define g(x) = 0 if x < c, and g(x) = 1 otherwise. Clearly, the limits of the functions do not exist individually at c, since the value of the function jumps there (either immediately from 0 to 1, or from 1 to 0). But, multiply these two functions, and you will obviously have that g(x)*f(x) = 0 for any x, so, of course, the limit is zero everywhere.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?