1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limits & Derivatives

1. Oct 10, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find an equation of the tangent line to the curve at the given point.

y=(x-1)/(x-2), (3,2)

2. Relevant equations
    3. The attempt at a solution
    I've had several attempts at this, all of them are wrong. My solution book says the answer should be y=-x+5

One attempt I made is:
    lim as h->0 [(3+h-1)/(3+h-2) - (x-1)/(x-2)]/h

lim as h->0 [(h+2)/(h+1) - (x-1)/(x-2)]/h

and I lost track of where I wrote the next step to this attempt. I've already attempted this 4 times.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2007 #2
    you just need to use the general definition of a line:

where (p,r) is the given point. and m is the slope.

To find the slope do you need to find the derivative and then evaluate for x=3.

But you don't need to use the definition of a derivative. just take the derivative of (x-1)/(x-2) using the quotient rule and then plug-in x=3 and you got your slope and plug in the point and slope into the formula and you'll get y=-x+5
  4. Oct 10, 2007 #3
    Thanks for the help.

The only problem I'm having currently is finding the derivative of (x-1)/(x-2). At this point in time my class hasn't learned the quotient rule yet, I checked the index and we don't learn it until the next chapter.

The only formula's that we were given in this section of this chapter is:

The tangent line to the curve y=f(x) at the point P(a,f(a)) is the line through P with slope:
    m=lim as h->0 [f(a+h)-f(a)]/h

m=lim as x->a [f(x)-f(a)]/(x-a)

There's also a formula for instantaneous rate of change, but I don't think I need to use that for this problem.

I was able to do other problems like this, but they were stuff like y=x^2 .
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2007
  5. Oct 10, 2007 #4
    o i see, well then you do have to use one of those definitions of the slope

[tex]lim_{h->0} \frac{\frac{h+2}{h+1}-\frac{x-1}{x-2}}{h}[/tex]

from here find a common denominator, to combine the fraction into 1 and you should get h to cancel.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?