1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limits equality, complex.

1. Dec 15, 2013 #1
    I am trying to show {fn} converges uniformly on {z:|z|≤p}, where p is postiive real number.
    and fn(z)=sin(z/n).

I am able to follow parts of my books method, but don't understand a couple of the inequalities...(my trouble lies in the inequalities rather than the main concepts involved in the method).

Sol:

I can see the pointwise limit is 0.

I am using the theorem that 'If for each n, we can find a sequence Sn, s.t |fn(z)-f(z)|≤Sn, and lim n→∞ Sn=0, then {fn} converges uniformly to f(z)'

So I am to consider: |Sin(z/n)-0|and looking for a Sn with the above properties.

so let z=x+iy and we attain |Sin(z/n)-0| = |Sin(x/n)cosh(y/n)+icos(x/n)sinh(y/n)| which is fine.

we than get |sin(x/n)cosh(y/n)+icos(x/n)sinh(y/n)|≤|sin(x/n)cosh(y/n)|+|sinh(y/n)|*
    , which I am not 100% sure on.
    I can see we have applied the triangle inequality. But on the right hand-term we have clearly applied another inequaliity , is this that |icos(x/n)| ≤1??

It then says for |z|≤p**:

|sin(x/n)cosh(y/n)|+|sinh(y/n)|≤(p/n)cosh(p/n)+sinh (p/n).

I'm not too sure about this inequality, for two reasons:
    1) I think from * we have used that sin (x/n) ≈ (x/n) for small (x/n), but why don't we use a approximation sign rather than inequality?
    2) MAIN question really - I'm not too sure how we have used ** ? haven't we set x=y=p. I'm having great difficulty understanding why we do this, I can see we have lost the absolute value signs...

Many Thanks for any help, really appreciated ! :)

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 15, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

They are using such facts as, i) if r is real, then |cos(r)|<=1, ii) if r is real then |sin(r)|<=|r|. The usual sorts of things you know about sin and cos as real functions. They are also using that if |x+iy|<=p then |x|<=p and |y|<=p.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted