Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Limits' existence

1. Aug 14, 2016 #1
    Finding a limit entails understanding how a function behaves near a particular value of x. So what do we mean when we say that a limit doesn't exist (in context to the upper statement)? (From what i studied, i noticed that limit exists only for those functions which have a discontinuity in the form of a hole.)

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 14, 2016 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think your intuition is correct. If a function is discontinuous at a point but its limit exists at that point, it can be converted to a function that is continuous at that point by setting the value at that point equal to the limit. But if the limit does not exist, there is no simple fix like that which can convert it to a continuous function.

This excludes the terminology that is sometimes used where one says the limit of a function as it approaches a point is ##\infty##. That is not a proper limit. The intuition only works for proper (ie finite) limits.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted