Evaluating Limits at Infinity and Zero: A Step-by-Step Guide

• Thread starter johnq2k7
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary, the limit as x approaches infinity of {(3x^3)+ cos(x)} / {(sin(x)- x^3)} is -3. The limit as x approaches pi from the positive side of {(tan^-1 (1/(x-pi))} / {pi-x0} does not exist. The limit as x approaches 0 from the positive side of {sqrt(x+ sin(x))}*(ln x) is undefined. The limit as x approaches 1 from the negative side of {(cos^-1 (x))} / (1-x) is an undetermined limit and can be solved using L'Hopital's rule.
johnq2k7
Question:

a.) lim x-->infinity {(3x^3)+ cos(x)} / {(sin(x)- x^3)}

b.) lim x-->pi(+) {(tan^-1 (1/(x-pi))} / {pi-x0}

c.) lim x--> 0(+) {sqrt(x+ sin(x))}*(ln x)

d.) lim x--> 1(-) {(cos^-1 (x))} / (1-x)

My work process:

a.) I divided the numerator and the denominator by the highest power which is 3... therefore
the expression becomes {3+ cos(x)/3}/ {sin (x)/3 - 1)}
since, 1/infinity becomes zero
the limit should be -3

b.)for the numerator of the expression as x approaches pi from the positive side the inverse of tangent is 1/0 which is undefined... so the expression of the numerator is undefined... also... as x approaches pi from the positive side the denominator of the expression approaches 0.. so the overall expression becomes 1/0... therefore the limit does not exist.. and since it is not bound... I'm sort of iffy on my answer for this one in terms of my reasoning and evaluation please help me out

c.) as x approaches zero from the positive side, the square root of the expression x+ sin(x) becomes zero, however the natural logarithm of zero is undefined... therefore the product of 0 and an undefined quantity doesn't produce a limit... therefore the limit is undefined... I'm sort of iffy on my answer for this question as well

d.) as approaches 1 from the negative side the numerator of the expression of inverse cosine of x becomes zero, the denominator also becomes zero since the expression of the denominator is 1-x... therefore the limit is zero for this expression.. I'm sort of iffy for this expression as well

Please help me with these problems... i have provided some of my work process

Physics news on Phys.org
johnq2k7 said:
Question:

a.) lim x-->infinity {(3x^3)+ cos(x)} / {(sin(x)- x^3)}

b.) lim x-->pi(+) {(tan^-1 (1/(x-pi))} / {pi-x0}

c.) lim x--> 0(+) {sqrt(x+ sin(x))}*(ln x)

d.) lim x--> 1(-) {(cos^-1 (x))} / (1-x)

My work process:

a.) I divided the numerator and the denominator by the highest power which is 3... therefore
the expression becomes {3+ cos(x)/3}/ {sin (x)/3 - 1)}
since, 1/infinity becomes zero
the limit should be -3
There is no 1/infinity in what you wrote! In any case, you don't divide by "the highest power", you divide by the term with the highest power. You should have
[tex]\frac{3+ \frac{cos(x)}{x^3}}{\frac{sin(x)}{x^3}- 1}[/tex]
Now, that has an x in the denominator which goes to 0 and so the limit is -3. Is that what you meant?

b.)for the numerator of the expression as x approaches pi from the positive side the inverse of tangent is 1/0 which is undefined... so the expression of the numerator is undefined... also... as x approaches pi from the positive side the denominator of the expression approaches 0.. so the overall expression becomes 1/0... therefore the limit does not exist.. and since it is not bound... I'm sort of iffy on my answer for this one in terms of my reasoning and evaluation please help me out
[itex]tan(\theta)[/itex] goes to infinity as [itex]\theta[/itex] goes to [itex]\pi/2[/itex] so [itex]tan^{-1}(x)[/itex] goes to [itex]\pi/2[/itex] as x goes to infinity. The limit of the expression in the numerator is NOT undefined. But the fact that the limit in the numerator is a non-zero number and the denominator goes to 0 does mean the limit does not exist.

c.) as x approaches zero from the positive side, the square root of the expression x+ sin(x) becomes zero, however the natural logarithm of zero is undefined... therefore the product of 0 and an undefined quantity doesn't produce a limit... therefore the limit is undefined... I'm sort of iffy on my answer for this question as well
You are right that the [itex]\sqrt{x+ sin(x)}[/itex] goes to 0 and that ln(x) goes to negative infinity as x goes to 0. However, that does not mean the limit does not exist. For example (x)(-1/x)= -1 even though (x) goes to 0, and (-1/x) goes to negative infinity. "[itex]0\cdot\infnty[/itex]" is "undetermined". I think you are going to L'Hopital's rule for this.

d.) as approaches 1 from the negative side the numerator of the expression of inverse cosine of x becomes zero, the denominator also becomes zero since the expression of the denominator is 1-x... therefore the limit is zero for this expression.. I'm sort of iffy for this expression as well
No, no, no! 0/0 is not 0, it is another "undetermined" limit. Use L'Hopital's rule.

Please help me with these problems... i have provided some of my work process[/QUOTE]

1. What is the purpose of "Limit's Help work shown"?

Limit's Help work shown is a tool used to visually demonstrate the steps and calculations involved in solving a mathematical limit problem. It allows for a better understanding of the concept and can aid in the learning process.

2. How do I use "Limit's Help work shown"?

To use Limit's Help work shown, simply enter your limit problem into the designated text box and click on the "Show Work" button. The tool will then generate a step-by-step breakdown of the solution process.

3. Can I customize the settings in "Limit's Help work shown"?

Yes, you can customize the settings in Limit's Help work shown by clicking on the "Settings" button. Here, you can choose the format of the solution, the number of steps shown, and the precision of the calculations.

4. Is "Limit's Help work shown" accurate?

Yes, Limit's Help work shown uses precise mathematical calculations to generate the solution process. However, it is always recommended to double check the results using other sources or techniques.

5. Are there any limitations to using "Limit's Help work shown"?

Limit's Help work shown is designed to handle a wide range of limit problems, but it may not be able to solve more complex or unconventional problems. It is also important to note that the tool is not a replacement for understanding the underlying concepts of limits.