1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limits help!

1. Aug 29, 2005 #1
    I just started calculus and we are doing limits. I was doing fine until I ran across this problem:

lim ( (x+∆x)^2 - x^2 ) / x
    ∆x approaches 0

I substituted delta x for a and ended up with 2x + a

I dont think this is right for some reason, but I think I did everything right, can someone please verify my answer so that I know Im on the right track? thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2005 #2
    Just expand it out. (note that [itex] a = \Delta x) [/itex] [itex] (x+a )^{2} - x^{2} = 2ax + a^{2} [/itex]. So we have [itex] \frac{2ax + a^{2}}{x} [/itex]. Divide through by [itex] x [/itex]. What do you notice when you substitute [itex] a = 0 [/itex].

Last edited: Aug 29, 2005
  4. Aug 29, 2005 #3
    I actually messed up when I typed that problem. It should all be over delta x. I'm so sorry! So I divided through by a and got a + 2x. Then substituted o in for a, so I'm left with 2x. Right?

5. Aug 29, 2005 #4
    2x, you are right !
    Remember this calculation, since you will learn soon that 2x is the derivative of x².

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?