Proof of Limit of a Recursive Sequence

In summary, the conversation discussed the statement that if x_n approaches infinity, then x_n+1 also approaches infinity. The concept was linked to recursive formulas for infinite series. A proof was requested, and it was explained that the two sequences, x_n and x_n+1, are essentially the same with just a slight alteration in numbering. The concept of subsequences was also introduced, with the theorem that any subsequence has the same convergence properties and limit as the original sequence.
Tclack
So I came across the statement:

Since [itex] x_n -> \inf [/itex]
then [itex] x_n_+_1 -> \inf [/itex]

This is very basic, But I'm already into recursive formulas for infinite series, so I should know why this is true. Does anyone have a small proof. An informal one will do.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is about as informal as they get, but ... if you delete from the second limit your first element, you shift everything down by one and you get the same limit again.

I thought of something.
As X_n goes to infinity, it passes X_(n+1)

I'm not sure what that means! For any n, n< n+1. But I think you mean that, for fixed N, eventually, n> N+1.

A little more precisely, if [itex]\{a_n\}[/itex] converges to A, then, for any [itex]\epsilon> 0[/itex], there exist N such that if n> N, [itex]|a_n- A|< \epsilon[/itex].

Now, if [itex]b_n= a_{n+1}[/itex], for any [itex]\epsilon> 0[/itex], take N'= N-1 where N is the number, above, for that same [itex]\epsilon[/itex].

Then if n> N' , n+1> N'+1= N so [itex]|b_n- A|= |a_{n+1}- A|< \epsilon[/itex], showing that [itex]\{b_n\}[/itex] also converges to A.

(Roughly speaking, [itex]\{a_n\}[/itex] and [itex]\{a_{n+1}\}[/itex] are really the same sequence, just with the "numbering" altered slighly. Of course, they have the same limit.)

You need to know what subsequences are:
You choose a strictly monotonically increasing sequences of natural numbers:

[tex]
n_{k}, n_{k} \in \mathbb{N}, n_{k + 1} > n_{k}, \; k = 0, 1, \ldots
[/tex]

Then, a subsequence of the sequence [itex]\{x_{n}\}[/itex] is defined as:
[tex]
\tilde{x}_{k} \equiv x_{n_{k}}
[/tex]

The (informal) theorem you will need to remember is:

Any subsequence has the same convergence properties and the same limit if convergent as its sequence.

How would you choose your subsequence?

1. What is a recursive sequence?

A recursive sequence is a sequence of numbers where each term is defined by a formula that involves one or more previous terms in the sequence. In other words, the value of each term depends on the values of the previous terms.

2. What is the purpose of finding the limit of a recursive sequence?

The limit of a recursive sequence is the value that the terms of the sequence approach as the number of terms increases. It helps us understand the long-term behavior of the sequence and determine if it converges or diverges.

3. How do you find the limit of a recursive sequence?

To find the limit of a recursive sequence, we first need to determine the recursive formula or equation for the sequence. Then, we can use algebraic techniques or a graphing calculator to evaluate the limit as the number of terms increases.

4. What are some common techniques for finding the limit of a recursive sequence?

Some common techniques for finding the limit of a recursive sequence include using a calculator or spreadsheet to generate and graph the terms of the sequence, using algebraic manipulation to simplify the recursive formula, and using known convergence tests such as the ratio test or the root test.

5. What are some real-world applications of recursive sequences and their limits?

Recursive sequences and their limits are frequently used in fields such as computer science, economics, and engineering. They can be used to model population growth, analyze the performance of algorithms, and predict the behavior of systems over time.