1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limits. Need recheck.

1. Sep 24, 2011 #1
    dcvg45.jpg

We have to graph these functions where they are real. (no need to graph where complex)

d)
    For d Im getting a point at (1,0) and then half a c shaped graph opening towards the right. Is
    this correct?
    g)
    For g I have 0 on the negative side. and a straight line in the first quadrant. :s Im not sure about this one.

ina420.png
    I have to find the limit.
    I realize this has two different directional limits positive and negative infinity. does that mean the actual limit does not exist?

30tnhg2.jpg

Is this very easy? I mean iim confused do i simply have to plug in underroot etc or is it something much more complicated :S

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2011 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Half correct. What about t<1?

No, that is not correct. You should have a "stair step". If x is between 0 and 1, n= 0 so the value of the function is 0. For x between 1 and 2, n= 1 so the value of the function is 1. If x is between 2 and 3, n= 2 so the value of the function is 2, etc.\

Yes, any time you have a fraction where the denominator goes to 0 and the numerator does not, the limit does not exist.

It looks to me like there is a serious typographical error in this problem! The point of the exercise is to show that, as x gets closer and closer to 2, f(x) gets closer and closer to 4 and then show that you can use the same argument with the general [itex]\epsilon[/itex] as you did with .01 and .001.

(a) asks "What is the value of [itex]x_1[/itex] such that f(x)= 2+ 0.01". That obviously should be "f(x)= 4+ 0.01"! And (b) should be " "What is the value of [itex]x_1[/itex] such that f(x)= 4- 0.01". f(x)= 4+ 0.01 is the same as [itex]x^2= 4.01[/itex]. Find [itex]x_1[/itex] by taking the square root of both sides.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook