1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limits next question

1. Jul 6, 2009 #1
    [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrowy}\frac{sin{x}-sin{y}}{x-y}[/tex]

so this is the question.

I'm here solving this problem you please check where am i wrong or next idea i've to use here.
    =[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrowy}\frac{sin{x}-sin{y}}{x-y}x\frac{cos{x}+cos{y}}{cos{x}+cos{y}}[/tex]
    =[tex]\frac{sin{x}cos{x}-sin{y}cos{y}+sin{x}cos{y}-cos{x}sin{y}}{{x-y}{cos{x}+cos{y}}[/tex]
    =[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrowy}\frac{sin{x}cos{x}-sin{y}cos{y}+sin{x-y}}{{x-y}{cos{x}+cos{y}}[/tex] +\fracsin{x-y}{(x-y)(cos{x}+cos{y})}[/tex]

after this i don't 've idea wht to do.Is there next idea we have to include overhere?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The "x" you had in the middle here was just "times" wasn't it? Better not to use such a symbol along with"x" as a variable.

[tex]=[tex]\frac{sin{x}cos{x}-sin{y}cos{y}+sin{x}cos{y}-cos{x}sin{y}}{(x-y)(cos{x}+cos{y})}[/tex]
    =[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow y}\frac{sin{x}cos{x}-sin{y}cos{y}+sin{x-y}}{(x-y)(cos{x}+cos{y})} +\frac{sin(x-y)}{(x-y)(cos{x}+cos{y})}[/tex]

after this i don't 've idea wht to do.Is there next idea we have to include overhere?[/QUOTE]
    I think I have corrected your LaTex properly. sin(x- y)= sin(x)cos(y)- cos(x)sin(y) and you appear to be trying to put the numerator in that form. (It would be a good idea to explain things like that when asking about a problem.) You wind up with two parts:
    [tex]\frac{sin x cos y- cos x sin y}{x- y}= \frac{sin(x-y)}{x- y}[/tex]
    which goes to 1 as x goes to y, and
    [tex]\frac{sin x cos x- sin y cos y}{x- y}[/tex]
    which is still a problem.

It would be far simpler to use L'Hopital's rule. Are you allowed to do that?

4. Jul 7, 2009 #3
    [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrowy}\frac{sin{x}-sin{y}}{x-y}[/tex]

so this is the question.

I'm here solving this problem you please check where am i wrong or next idea i've to use here.
    =[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrowy}\frac{sin{x}-sin{y}}{x-y}*\frac{cos{x}+cos{y}}{cos{x}+cos{y}}[/tex]
    =[tex]\frac{sin{x}cos{x}-sin{y}cos{y}+sin{x}cos{y}-cos{x}sin{y}}{(x-y)(cos{x}+cos{y})}[/tex]
    =[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrowy}\frac{sin{x}cos{x}-sin{y}cos{y}+sin{x-y}}{(x-y)(cos{x}+cos{y})} +\fracsin{x-y}{(x-y)(cos{x}+cos{y})}[/tex]

after this i don't 've idea wht to do.Is there next idea we have to include over
    here?

5. Jul 7, 2009 #4
    I think I have corrected your LaTex properly. sin(x- y)= sin(x)cos(y)- cos(x)sin(y) and you appear to be trying to put the numerator in that form. (It would be a good idea to explain things like that when asking about a problem.) You wind up with two parts:
    [tex]\frac{sin x cos y- cos x sin y}{x- y}= \frac{sin(x-y)}{x- y}[/tex]
    which goes to 1 as x goes to y, and
    [tex]\frac{sin x cos x- sin y cos y}{x- y}[/tex]
    which is still a problem.

It would be far simpler to use L'Hopital's rule. Are you allowed to do that?[/QUOTE]

Yea that's what i meant to express in latex form.Thanks for your correction.

Isn't it solved by that method?[method which i did]

Umm..L'Hopital's rule is it the best way to solve the problem?Thanks I don't 've idea bout that but i can get it after reading this rule.If not i'll again ask you.

6. Jul 9, 2009 #5

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Laven! :smile:

You need to learn your trigonometric identities …

in this case sinx - siny = 2 sin((x - y)/2) cos((x + y)/2) :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook