Solving Limits: $\lim_{x\rightarrowy}\frac{sin{x}-sin{y}}{x-y}

• Thread starter Laven
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limits
In summary, the expression \lim_{x\rightarrow y}\frac{sin{x}-sin{y}}{x-y} can be rewritten as \frac{2sin\left(\frac{x-y}{2}\right)cos\left(\frac{x+y}{2}\right)}{x-y}. This can be simplified further using L'Hopital's rule, which is a method for evaluating limits involving indeterminate forms.
Laven
[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrowy}\frac{sin{x}-sin{y}}{x-y}[/tex]

so this is the question.

I'm here solving this problem you please check where am i wrong or next idea I've to use here.
=[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrowy}\frac{sin{x}-sin{y}}{x-y}x\frac{cos{x}+cos{y}}{cos{x}+cos{y}}[/tex]
=[tex]\frac{sin{x}cos{x}-sin{y}cos{y}+sin{x}cos{y}-cos{x}sin{y}}{{x-y}{cos{x}+cos{y}}[/tex]
=[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrowy}\frac{sin{x}cos{x}-sin{y}cos{y}+sin{x-y}}{{x-y}{cos{x}+cos{y}}[/tex] +\fracsin{x-y}{(x-y)(cos{x}+cos{y})}[/tex]

after this i don't 've idea wht to do.Is there next idea we have to include overhere?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Laven said:

so this is the question.

I'm here solving this problem you please check where am i wrong or next idea I've to use here.
=[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrowy}\frac{sin{x}-sin{y}}{x-y}\frac{cos{x}+cos{y}}{cos{x}+cos{y}}[/tex]
The "x" you had in the middle here was just "times" wasn't it? Better not to use such a symbol along with"x" as a variable.

[tex]=[tex]\frac{sin{x}cos{x}-sin{y}cos{y}+sin{x}cos{y}-cos{x}sin{y}}{(x-y)(cos{x}+cos{y})}[/tex]
=[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow y}\frac{sin{x}cos{x}-sin{y}cos{y}+sin{x-y}}{(x-y)(cos{x}+cos{y})} +\frac{sin(x-y)}{(x-y)(cos{x}+cos{y})}[/tex]

after this i don't 've idea wht to do.Is there next idea we have to include overhere?[/QUOTE]
I think I have corrected your LaTex properly. sin(x- y)= sin(x)cos(y)- cos(x)sin(y) and you appear to be trying to put the numerator in that form. (It would be a good idea to explain things like that when asking about a problem.) You wind up with two parts:
[tex]\frac{sin x cos y- cos x sin y}{x- y}= \frac{sin(x-y)}{x- y}[/tex]
which goes to 1 as x goes to y, and
[tex]\frac{sin x cos x- sin y cos y}{x- y}[/tex]
which is still a problem.

It would be far simpler to use L'Hopital's rule. Are you allowed to do that?

so this is the question.

=[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrowy}\frac{sin{x}-sin{y}}{x-y}*\frac{cos{x}+cos{y}}{cos{x}+cos{y}}[/tex]
=[tex]\frac{sin{x}cos{x}-sin{y}cos{y}+sin{x}cos{y}-cos{x}sin{y}}{(x-y)(cos{x}+cos{y})}[/tex]
=[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrowy}\frac{sin{x}cos{x}-sin{y}cos{y}+sin{x-y}}{(x-y)(cos{x}+cos{y})} +\fracsin{x-y}{(x-y)(cos{x}+cos{y})}[/tex]

after this i don't 've idea wht to do.Is there next idea we have to include over
here?

HallsofIvy said:
The "x" you had in the middle here was just "times" wasn't it? Better not to use such a symbol along with"x" as a variable.

[tex]=[tex]\frac{sin{x}cos{x}-sin{y}cos{y}+sin{x}cos{y}-cos{x}sin{y}}{(x-y)(cos{x}+cos{y})}[/tex]
=[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow y}\frac{sin{x}cos{x}-sin{y}cos{y}+sin{x-y}}{(x-y)(cos{x}+cos{y})} +\frac{sin(x-y)}{(x-y)(cos{x}+cos{y})}[/tex]

after this i don't 've idea wht to do.Is there next idea we have to include overhere?
I think I have corrected your LaTex properly. sin(x- y)= sin(x)cos(y)- cos(x)sin(y) and you appear to be trying to put the numerator in that form. (It would be a good idea to explain things like that when asking about a problem.) You wind up with two parts:
[tex]\frac{sin x cos y- cos x sin y}{x- y}= \frac{sin(x-y)}{x- y}[/tex]
which goes to 1 as x goes to y, and
[tex]\frac{sin x cos x- sin y cos y}{x- y}[/tex]
which is still a problem.

It would be far simpler to use L'Hopital's rule. Are you allowed to do that?[/QUOTE]

Yea that's what i meant to express in latex form.Thanks for your correction.

Isn't it solved by that method?[method which i did]

Umm..L'Hopital's rule is it the best way to solve the problem?Thanks I don't 've idea bout that but i can get it after reading this rule.If not i'll again ask you.

Laven said:
Umm..L'Hopital's rule is it the best way to solve the problem?Thanks I don't 've idea bout that but i can get it after reading this rule.If not i'll again ask you.

Hi Laven! :smile:

You need to learn your trigonometric identities …

in this case sinx - siny = 2 sin((x - y)/2) cos((x + y)/2) :wink:

1. What is the definition of a limit?

The limit of a function at a point is the value that the function approaches as the input approaches that point.

2. How do you solve limits algebraically?

To solve limits algebraically, you can use techniques such as factoring, combining fractions, and using algebraic identities.

3. What are the steps for solving a limit?

The steps for solving a limit are:

1. Substitute the value the function is approaching for the variable.
  2. Try to simplify the expression by factoring, combining fractions, or using algebraic identities.
  3. If you still cannot evaluate the limit, use a graph or a table of values to estimate the limit.
  4. If the limit does not exist, determine if it approaches a finite or infinite value from the left and right sides.

4. Can limits be solved using a calculator?

Some limits can be solved using a calculator, but it is important to know the limitations of calculators and to understand the underlying concepts of limits.

5. How does the limit definition apply to the equation $\lim_{x\rightarrowy}\frac{sin{x}-sin{y}}{x-y}$?

The limit definition applies to this equation by evaluating the function as the variables x and y approach each other. This is known as a two-variable limit, and it can be solved using the same steps as a one-variable limit.