Limits of integral to find a maximum from [a,b]

In summary: Therefore, the limit is indeed equal to the max of |f(x)| between [0,1].In summary, the solution to proving that the Limit as p approaches infinity of {integral from 0 to 1[|f(t)|^p dt]}^(1/p) is in fact equal to the max of |f(x)| between [0,1] lies in using the Mean Value Theorem for Integrals. By this theorem, the limit is equal to the maximum value of |f(x)| in [0,1].
Hunterelite7
I am trying to prove that the Limit as p approaches infinity of {integral from 0 to 1[|f(t)|^p dt]}^(1/p) is in fact equal to the max of |f(x)| between [0,1].

Any suggestions I am sure I need to set the limit to less than or equal to and greater than or equal to the max but i don't quite know how

3. I am certian the solution is in front of my face because if i can see how to establish the limit is both less than or equal to and greater than or equal to than it would be easy but i can t see how to set the inequalities

Physics news on Phys.org
up.The solution lies in using the Mean Value Theorem for Integrals. We know that for any continuous function f(x) on the closed interval [0,1], there exists a number c in [0,1] such that \int_0^1 f(x)dx = f(c). Now, consider the limit of the expression \lim_{p \to \infty}\left(\int_0^1 |f(t)|^p dt\right)^{1/p}. By the mean value theorem, this equals |f(c)|^p for some c in [0,1]. Since the power of p is going to infinity, this expression must equal the maximum value of |f(x)| in [0,1].

1. What is the purpose of using limits of integration to find a maximum?

Limits of integration are used to determine the upper and lower bounds of an integral, which allows us to calculate the maximum value within that range. This is useful in many scientific fields, such as optimization and modeling, where finding the maximum value of a function is important.

2. How do I set the limits of integration to find a maximum?

The limits of integration are typically determined by the problem or experiment at hand. In most cases, the upper and lower limits will be the boundaries of the range in which you are trying to find the maximum value. However, there are various techniques for setting the limits, such as using critical points or graphing the function.

3. Can I use limits of integration to find a maximum for any function?

Yes, limits of integration can be used to find the maximum value of any continuous function. However, the function must be defined within the given range and have a finite maximum value in order for the limits to be effective.

4. Are there any limitations to using limits of integration to find a maximum?

One limitation of using limits of integration is that it may not always give an exact solution. In some cases, it may only provide an approximation of the true maximum value. Additionally, the technique may not be suitable for finding the maximum of complex or multidimensional functions.

5. How does using limits of integration compare to other methods of finding a maximum?

Compared to other methods, such as differentiation or graphing, using limits of integration may require more computational effort. However, it can be more accurate and reliable in certain scenarios, particularly when dealing with functions that have multiple critical points or are difficult to graph.