Substitution Rule for Infinite Limits of Integration

In summary, the problem is that the substitution rule only holds for finite limits of integration, but the given integral has infinite limits. Additionally, the substitution introduces dx = 2t dt within the integral and a polar coordinate form may be helpful. However, using t = sqrt(x) is not valid and instead, -sqrt(-x) should be used for x<0. Breaking the integral up into the part over t < 0 and t > 0 may also be helpful in evaluating the integral. Overall, the issue lies in the fact that t^2 = x does not necessarily imply that t = sqrt(x).
ehrenfest
[SOLVED] limits of integration

Homework Statement

I want to substitute x=t^2 in [itex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}{\exp(-t^4)} dt[/itex]. What are the new limits of integration? They are both infinity aren't they? But the integral is clearly not zero? Is the problem that the substitution rule only holds for finite limits of integration?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
The substitution introduces dx = 2t dt within the integral. Perhaps a polar coordinate form would be helpful.

Of course, but [tex]2t = 2 \sqrt{x} [/tex]. Why is this not valid:

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\exp(-t^4)dt = \int_{\infty}^{\infty}\exp(-x^2)dx/(2\sqrt{x}) [/tex]

?

Well, you need to use [itex]-\sqrt{-x}[/itex] where [itex]x<0[/itex].

Maybe you should break the integral up into the part over t < 0 and t > 0. What does that turn into? I don't know the answer, just a suggestion.

I don't care how to evaluate the specific integral. My question is about the substitution rule. No one has yet explained to me why this

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\exp(-t^4)dt = \int_{\infty}^{\infty}\exp(-x^2)dx/(2\sqrt{x}) [/tex]

is not a valid use of the substitution rule?

I think it's just because t^2 = x doesn't necessarily imply that t = sqrt(x).

1. What is the purpose of limits of integration in scientific research?

Limits of integration are used to define the bounds within which a particular mathematical function or equation is being evaluated. In scientific research, they help determine the range of values that are relevant to the problem being studied.

2. How are limits of integration determined?

Limits of integration are typically determined based on the specific problem being studied and the properties of the function or equation being evaluated. They can be set manually by the researcher or calculated using various mathematical techniques.

3. What is the difference between upper and lower limits of integration?

The upper limit of integration is the higher bound of the range being evaluated, while the lower limit is the lower bound. These limits can be used to define the entire range of values being evaluated or to focus on a specific portion of the range.

4. How do limits of integration affect the accuracy of results?

Limits of integration can have a significant impact on the accuracy of results in scientific research. Choosing appropriate limits is essential to ensure that the results are relevant and meaningful to the problem being studied.

5. Can limits of integration be changed during a research study?

Yes, in some cases, it may be necessary to change the limits of integration during a research study. This can happen if new information is discovered or if the initial limits were not appropriate for the problem being studied. However, changes to the limits of integration should be carefully considered and documented to ensure the integrity of the research.