Volume of Rotated Region: y=x and y=x^2, about x-axis and y=2

In summary, the volume of the solid obtained by rotating the region R about the x-axis is 2(pi)/15, while the volume of the solid obtained by rotating it about y=2 is 8pi/15 due to the differences in the radius of rotation. This can be explained by Pappus' theorem and can be visualized using the example of making a donut.
fk378

Homework Statement

(a)The region R enclosed by the curves y=x and y=x^2 is rotated about the x-axis. Find the volume of the resulting solid.

(b)Find the volume of the solid in part (a) obtained by rotation the region about y=2.

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved the (a) integral and got 2(pi)/15, which is the right answer. I thought that (b) would give the same answer, since I'm just rotating it about a different line. But my answer (which is right) is 8pi/15. Can anyone explain why the volume would be different? It's the same solid, just rotated about different lines, right?

Physics news on Phys.org
They are not 'the same solid'. The radius of rotation in the two different cases is different. Look up Pappus' theorem.

Let's take the example of making a donut in a similar manner. Take an oval centered on the origin where the longest radius is in the y-direction. Make a solid by rotating this region about the axis x=10 where 10 > the longer radius of the oval. This will make a donut and you could find the volume, but if you were to instead make a donut by rotating around y=10, it would not have the same volume as the solid made by rotating around x=10. I would expect that the y=10 solid would have a larger volume since it will have a greater distance from the center to the edge of the solid.

In your case, you're making some weird solids. and the distance from the rotational axis to farthest out point is not even the same in both cases. Around the x-axis, the farthest out point from the axis is x=1 so a magnitude of 1 away. For the y=2 axis, the farthest point away from it is x=0 for a magnitude of 2 away. I hope this helps you visualize this better.

What are the limits of integration?

The limits of integration refer to the values that define the interval over which a function is being integrated. These values can be numbers, variables, or expressions.

Why do we need limits of integration?

Limits of integration are necessary because they define the boundaries of the integration process. Without limits, we would have no way of knowing which values to plug into the function and the integration would be meaningless.

How do we determine the limits of integration?

The limits of integration are typically given in the problem or can be determined by analyzing the given function and understanding its domain. In some cases, it may be necessary to graph the function to determine the appropriate limits.

What happens if we use incorrect limits of integration?

If incorrect limits of integration are used, the resulting value of the integral will be incorrect. Additionally, using incorrect limits may lead to an undefined or meaningless result.

Can the limits of integration be negative or complex numbers?

Yes, the limits of integration can be negative or complex numbers as long as they fall within the domain of the function being integrated. However, the type of integral being used (e.g. definite or indefinite) may affect the use of negative or complex limits.